HbA1C question on insurance

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is the question about HbA1C for a major insurer. It doesn't say what units it is using and from those they are using it looks like it could be a mixture.

Anyone have any idea? I can't get through to speak to them. Although looking at this I suspect their understanding of what HbA1c will be minimal

upload_2022-4-22_12-6-21.png

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Those numbers don't make sense, they are not in the same units.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
This is the question about HbA1C for a major insurer. It doesn't say what units it is using and from those they are using it looks like it could be a mixture.

Anyone have any idea? I can't get through to speak to them. Although looking at this I suspect their understanding of what HbA1c will be minimal

View attachment 54269

This information page
gives you an explanation of the different A1c scales. I agree with @Antje77 above, the options you've been given don't make much sense as they seem to mix American and European preferences in the range of numbers.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
they seem to mix American and European preferences in the range of numbers.
But even if you suppose there are two scales used, the choices don't make sense.
Both 4.1 to 8.9 and 21 to 74 range from the lowest non diabetic level to having full blown and not very well controlled diabetes...