HbA1c results

chancellors

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had my HbA1c results back, they were 40 in mmol//L this is equal to 6.6 or 5.8%. My diabetic nurse has told me to reduce my insulin as this was to low, she wants to see a figure of 45-50 which would give me a average reading of between 7.4-8.1, thoughts please.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
she is worried about you having hypos.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had my HbA1c results back, they were 40 in mmol//L this is equal to 6.6 or 5.8%. My diabetic nurse has told me to reduce my insulin as this was to low, she wants to see a figure of 45-50 which would give me a average reading of between 7.4-8.1, thoughts please.

My thoughts are aligned with @andcol , but just wanted to say really well done. Reducing your insulin is a fantastic step in the right direction.

Have you been tweaking your diet, or anything else, since your last HbA1c?

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.

Congratulations, you must be so pleased:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

Reactions: 2 people

chancellors

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, that what she said, she was worried that I might be having hypos in my sleep but I'm sure I would be aware of it if I had.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It does seem that HCP's want T2D's to have a higher A1c score than we "laymen" might be aiming for.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Just had my blood test done today. Last one was 54 - about 7.1mml/l?

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It does seem that HCP's want T2D's to have a higher A1c score than we "laymen" might be aiming for.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

On my DESMOND course in Thursday, both nurses said we should not be aiming for lower than 48 and that 48-58 was fine due to the challenges associated with T2.

What nonsense...

DIAGNOSED: 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, BPM 85, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

UPDATE: 16/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 6O, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 25g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting, occasionally longer fasts.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
On my DESMOND course in Thursday, both nurses said we should not be aiming for lower than 48 and that 48-58 was fine due to the challenges associated with T2.

What nonsense...

DIAGNOSED: 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, BPM 85, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

UPDATE: 16/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 6O, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 25g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting, occasionally longer fasts.
@KevinPotts some type2s are unable to exercise due to neuropathy and disabilities afflicted before diabetes. Therefore cannot get low bgs without more insulin.
Not all type 2s are able bodied.
One size doesn't fit all.
Maybe the guide is lacking our excellent low bgs but nhs are afraid to recommend too low an overall bg. Putting more patients at risk of hypos.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@KevinPotts some type2s are unable to exercise due to neuropathy and disabilities afflicted before diabetes. Therefore cannot get low bgs without more insulin.
Not all type 2s are able bodied.
One size doesn't fit all.
Maybe the guide is lacking our excellent low bgs but nhs are afraid to recommend too low an overall bg. Putting more patients at risk of hypos.

Good point and I totally accept your point about us all being different.

My frustration came from the fact that the teaching of these two lovely ladies had caused them to believe and then communicate to every new T2 that it was "impossible" to get their A1C below 48... Ever...so don't even try :(

Last edited by a moderator:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Good point and I totally accept your point about us all being different.

My frustration came from the fact that the teaching of these two lovely ladies had caused them to believe and then communicate to every new T2 that it was "impossible" to get their A1C below 48... Ever,so don't even try :(
Oh no. That's dangerous!
There's nothing they cannot do being diabetic. I'm glad you were there to keep them right!
Negative people feed negative thoughts!