Hba1c Results

Sanste

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Well then....diagnosed T2 Nov 15 with a reading of 57 (9.2mmol). A few changes later and my result last month was 46 (7.6mmol)!!! Now I know any decrease is a success and really well earned but just how much of a result is this?? Also, why can't I get my wake up bloods any lower than 7.5!!!! Thanks for all the postings guys....it has been a great means of support!!!

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
You have done so well and are heading in the right way. It can be common to have a higher reading in the morning due to a liver dumb during the night

Reactions: 4 people

Jo123

Will done on the decrease, it's going in the right direction.

To reduce my BG levels (I was prediabetic) I bought a monitor and tested to see what effect different foods had on my BG levels. Anything that raised me above 7.8 (the level at which harmful changes can occur to blood vessels) I eliminated from my diet. I found it was carbs that increased my BG even the low GI carbs.

Now years later I can tolerate a few more carbs and do so occasionally but not regularly.
For me exercise (running) increased my BG.

Reactions: 5 people

Sanste

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I am using a meter and do my best to eat to it and also know the majority of foods that will give me double figure readings so can avoid those now!!! I have lost 2 stone and feel great but really need this morning read to be lower!!

Reactions: 4 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Hi Sanste, Take heart! lots of people start off with higher fasting blood levels than their other daily readings . As @ally1 says this is often due to your liver helpfully flooding you with glucose in order to give you energy to start the day. Even non-diabetics get this "boost" In my own case it was several weeks before my fasting reading came down. I remember posting a similar question to yourself when I first changed to low-carbing and testing, and a forum member telling me this. In my case the drop from 7s to 5s was quite sudden and the morning that I had my first 4.9 was a complete surprise. Good luck, keep going

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, all going in the right direction.

Do you ever test at bedtime, and occasionally during the night if you wake up? These readings can be useful in seeing what may be happening overnight. Also, when you take your FBG have you done anything between waking and testing? (shower, rushing about, making breakfast, etc.) What time do you eat your last meal in the evening, and do you have anything before bed for supper/snack? Do you eat a lot of protein? I'm asking these questions to help decide if it is just a liver dump, or maybe something else causing it.

Sanste

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks for the swift responses!!! Bluetit, I try not too eat following my evening meal (around 6pm) and usually check my bloods within an hour of waking...admittedly after a shower etc and sometimes when I arrive in work!! I will check as soon as I open my eyes and see what the results are!!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the swift responses!!! Bluetit, I try not too eat following my evening meal (around 6pm) and usually check my bloods within an hour of waking...admittedly after a shower etc and sometimes when I arrive in work!! I will check as soon as I open my eyes and see what the results are!!!

Yes, do check earlier. Wake up, get up, wash hands, test. The more you do before testing may affect matters quite a bit, but of course the levels may keep rising after that as your liver thinks you need energy to do all those things and get yourself to work so it will look after you and dump glucose to cope with these activities.

If you prefer to test later, that is fine, as long as you are consistent as to when you test. Comparing a very first thing test with an arrival at work test isn't comparing like with like. (but it is interesting though)

Reactions: 2 people

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It took about 7 months for my morning bloods to get into the 5's and I follow a very low carb diet with some extended fasting. Even now I get some high 6's so I wouldn't despair .. it will happen.
All the best
M

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Intermittent fasting did the trick for me. Fasting level dropped to around 5.5 a couple of weeks after I fasted for 2 days in a week, skipped 2 dinners. And it stayed around there since...almost 10 months already...

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am 4 months in to VLC and my morning number is still the highest of the day, anywhere from low to high 6's. Also if I don't eat at least a few bites first thing it will just keep drifting higher and higher until I do eat.

Hellrazor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
dont know your personnel circumstances but sleep or lack of could be a factor ,irregular hours ie shift work could be another factor basically anything that would put your body out of tune with the natural allignment