Hba1c results

djry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got my first hba1c test results a few weeks ago they were 139 when I was diagnosed 5 months ago now they are down to 42 which I'm pleased about I eat pritty much what I like now i just take a little bit more insulin. my blood sugar levels are between 4-8... random question tho if eating what I want and having extra insulin with food is that bad or ok

Dan6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congrats firstly on getting your hb1ac down so quickly thst really is something to be proud of.

It all depends on what you have and who you speak to. Having what you want is really a personal choice its just wortg bearing in mind that different foods will affect your levels differently and the more insulin you have can lead to weight gain and insulin resistance.

Personally i think if your weight isnt going up and your levels are good eating a nit extra every now and again is ok.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
congrats @djry :)

If you're not gaining weight from the extra insulin, it should be ok. I just saw my endocrinologist and I've having problems with my diet as my body is reacting badly to so much foods that carbs is one of my safe foods. As a result I've probably been eating more carbs than I used to simply because I don't know what else to eat. So I've had to bolus on average an extra 3-5 units with my meals. My endo didn't really want me increasing my bolus units. But what do I do? He referred me to the dietitian but she was virtually useless and just said the only way around it is have mini meals. I eat an average of 30g of carbs with my meal which isn't huge. They wanted me to eat more fruit... fat chance as I don't tolerate most fruits. I'm also having problems with vegetables and some meats. But enough about me.... I think for you what you're doing must be working as proof is in your hb1Ac. Well done!