Hba1c results

Ica291

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I've been using a libre for a few years now and the estimated hba1c is always within 1 or 2 of the actual result.

I changed to a new GP 6 months ago, because my old surgery was a nightmare. I'm really happy with my new doc and standard of care at the practice. However, since using the practice, the hba1c results have been different to libre by 5-7(higher than expected). Which is quite big. My DSN said not to worry about the number and I'm doing great. But, my question is this:

Has anyone else had hba1c results that they just don't believe are true? Something happened to the sample in transit, storage or maybe even sampling technique error?

I don't want to start accusing my practice of anything, but my levels are not indicative of the hba1c result. Here's an example: libre was estimating 52, result came at 57. I didn't believe this and had it tested a month later in the hospital and it was 53..... To my understanding, it doesn't go up and down that quickly in a month unless you have had some really bad weeks!

The phlebotomist at the practice did say to me once that because they are so far from the hospital sometimes they get higher results. My DSN spoke to a lab technician who said bloods are good for 48 hours at room temperature.....

Any thoughts??

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Different labs?

ETA

I seem to remember one member getting an anomolous result and the GP was so intrigued that she ordered another blood draw. Samples were sent to two different labs (samples from the same blood draw) resulting in such a wide variance that it made no sense. As far as I remember there was a six point difference. Sorry, can't remember which member reported this.

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I got my HbA1c test result I was shocked at how low it had dropped in such a short time. I questioned the accuracy but was assured it was good.

Instrumention and measurement can be vary owing to test instrument error and method variance. A good easy to visualise example is the car speedo. So it would never come as a surprise to me that it also applied to HbA1c tests and all the others.

Reactions: bosund

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Different labs?

ETA

I seem to remember one member getting an anomolous result and the GP was so intrigued that she ordered another blood draw. Samples were sent to two different labs (samples from the same blood draw) resulting in such a wide variance that it made no sense. As far as I remember there was a six point difference. Sorry, can't remember which member reported this.

I remember that.... I think it was @Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Ica291

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks bluetit1802 and tophat1900 for remembering who it was! That info is really great, I will probably send the thread to my DSN and bring it up with GP when I next speak to her. As frustrating as it is, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one!

Reactions: Guzzler

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks bluetit1802 and tophat1900 for remembering who it was! That info is really great, I will probably send the thread to my DSN and bring it up with GP when I next speak to her. As frustrating as it is, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one!

You are by no means the only one. There are several others on this forum.

It should also be noted that whereas the HbA1c can be much higher than expected, it can also be much lower. There will be people, possibly on this forum, dancing on tables because of a fabulously low HbA1cs and never know they could be falsely low. That is what I find very dangerous.