HBA1C results

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Hello all. I had my results today from my second test.

Last august I was 123. I had one at 3 months and was 50. Today I am 42. Quite pleased but my meter has been reading consistently in the 5s so a little confused. (I know they can be inaccurate) or am I being a little hard on myself?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on the HbA1c. A great reduction, especially considering where you started. :)

An HbA1c of 42 is equivalent to a 3 months average on your meter of 7mmol/l. You really have to test loads of times a day to guesstimate an HbA1c. With a fair representation of pre and post meals, and not just the 2 hour post meal but an hour, 90 minutes, 3 hours, plus bedtime and fasting. Meters are not accurate, as we know, but over a period of time the inaccurate highs and inaccurate lows will work themselves out - swings and roundabouts. Likewise, the HbA1c can also be inaccurate.

I wouldn't worry. It is an excellent result, and yes, you are being hard on yourself. You should be proud.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Well done. Yes defo being VERY hard on yourself. Amazing achievement

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Well done on the HbA1c. A great reduction, especially considering where you started. :)

An HbA1c of 42 is equivalent to a 3 months average on your meter of 7mmol/l. You really have to test loads of times a day to guesstimate an HbA1c. With a fair representation of pre and post meals, and not just the 2 hour post meal but an hour, 90 minutes, 3 hours, plus bedtime and fasting. Meters are not accurate, as we know, but over a period of time the inaccurate highs and inaccurate lows will work themselves out - swings and roundabouts. Likewise, the HbA1c can also be inaccurate.

I wouldn't worry. It is an excellent result, and yes, you are being hard on yourself. You should be proud.

Thank you! But an average of 7 seems so inaccurate to me. I have been seeing nothing but 5s. Is it that inaccurate??

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Thank you! But an average of 7 seems so inaccurate to me. I have been seeing nothing but 5s. Is it that inaccurate??

How often do you test your blood? Don't forget that a finger prick test is for that split moment in time. Your bloods will and do fluctuate during the day/night. Only a CGM or FGM will show you what your bloods are doing in between tests.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
How often do you test your blood? Don't forget that a finger prick test is for that split moment in time. Your bloods will and do fluctuate during the day/night. Only a CGM or FGM will show you what your bloods are doing in between tests.

Yes I see that. I probably don't test enough but I also see that I am being really hard on myself. I am on the edge of being normal and I'm only 8 months in. So a slap on the wrists for me lol for being grumpy!

Reactions: porl69

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes was looking at those the other day.

You can learn such a lot. They aren't accurate either, but I find that although mine read lower than my finger pricks (when I cross check) they are consistent, so you can do mental adjustments if that floats your boat. What they are great for is spotting trends - you see the graphs with all the wriggly lines, mole hills, mountain peaks, troughs and even straight lines! If you add notes you can discover when and hopefully why the graphs go up and down.