Hba1c test frustration.

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had my Hba1c results today. I was really hoping it was going to be in normal ranges but I'm just over at 43. This year I had a reading of 49 in March and 46 in my second test three weeks later so I should be pleased that it has come down to 43 but feel upset.

My Cholesterol has risen from 5.6 to 7.6, I was expecting a rise but not that much. She said that as my weight has dropped and my blood pressure was lower than before I still came just above the 10% risk so was not suggesting statins but needed to keep an eye on the Cholesterol levels. She suggested eating porridge for breakfast but I told her that put my sugar levels up. I asked about the breakdown of the results but she didn't really answer and was very vague. Can I ask for a print out of the results?

Is there anything I can do to reduce my Cholesterol levels while low carbing? Any supplements that help?

Feeling deflated

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First of all, congratulations on your 43, that's excellent! Don't be hard on yourself, give yourself a pat on the back. :D
My cholesterol was lower than yours at 4.2 but the doc still put me on statins. Then it went down to 2.9 and I asked if I could come off them and he said no because he didn't want it rise again! :confused: Didn't feel as though I could argue with that logic!

As for lowering cholesterol there are the usual: unsaturated fats, oily fish – such as mackerel and salmon. nuts – such as almonds and cashews. Also found this on heartuk.org - http://heartuk.org.uk/cholesterol-and-diet/six-super-foods-for-lower-cholesterol

You can ask for a printout, I always get one. :)

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks will phone and ask for a print out. I would find it hard to cut out dairy as I eat a lot of Greek yogurt and cheese.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
First of all, congratulations on your 43, that's excellent! Don't be hard on yourself, give yourself a pat on the back. :D
My cholesterol was lower than yours at 4.2 but the doc still put me on statins. Then it went down to 2.9 and I asked if I could come off them and he said no because he didn't want it rise again! :confused: Didn't feel as though I could argue with that logic!

As for lowering cholesterol there are the usual: unsaturated fats, oily fish – such as mackerel and salmon. nuts – such as almonds and cashews. Also found this on heartuk.org - http://heartuk.org.uk/cholesterol-and-diet/six-super-foods-for-lower-cholesterol

You can ask for a printout, I always get one. :)

There is quite a number of threads which give links what dispute what your doctor says and in my experience, low carbing alone will lower cholesterol without statins. Statins raised my bloods and had side effects.
Indeed the links say that cholesterol and heart attacks and statins don't have much affect on each other.
Statins are useful for those who have heart or stroke issues.

I use saturated fats for my meals, I fry eggs in duck fat or dripping, bacon fat etc.
I try not to use polyunsaturated or monounsaturated unless it's natural, like you say in fish oils and such.

Back to the op @Donnadoobie reduce your dairy, don't give them up especially the Greek yogurt. Everything is natural and shouldn't affect your cholesterol or blood glucose levels.

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just phoned the surgery to ask for a print out and the unhelpful receptionist said she would have to ask the doctor. Why does she have to ask the doctor for permission to see my blood tests? Was not brave enough to challenge

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok I have got the breakdown of the blood results from Wednesday.
7.3 was 6.6 in Feb 2014
Triglycerides 1.68 was raised in Feb 2014 now normal
HDL O.96
LDL 5.6
Ratio 7.6 - same as Feb 2014
non HDL 6.3

So not looking good. I just don't know what to do. I just don't know how to restrict my diet even more! Gutted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fardys

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't believe the hype !! Cholesterol isn't bad for you for starters nor is there good or bad cholesterol ...check out the internet for the real story and stop worrying , eat wise and exercise

Reactions: 2 people

martsnow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just phoned the surgery to ask for a print out and the unhelpful receptionist said she would have to ask the doctor. Why does she have to ask the doctor for permission to see my blood tests? Was not brave enough to challenge

I have had this ****, with the nurse, when I asked to see my biopsy results, and prostate cancer grading, and she refused I had to make, a further appointment, to see the G.P. Upon asking him, he was quite abrupt, and said that he was entitled to withhold, any information, that was written, which would be "deemed" detrimental to me. Even upon paying, to see my records, certain records, had been redacted

"Traditionally, redaction or de-identification is done manually. Records are copied, evaluated and then blackened out with permanent marker. In many cases the documents are re-copied to ensure any identifying data is
completely illegible."

from.......... "BMA Access To Health Records 2014"

Last edited by a moderator:

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Plant sterols arrived in the post today. I am going to take 3 a day to see if this brings cholesterol levels down to a level that the GP will stop nagging me.

Goal that in 6 months I can get a blood result which shows sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol are all normal!