1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

HbA1c test results - what does "percentage" mean - of what?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by LezLezLez, Oct 6, 2016.

1. LezLezLez

LezLezLez Type 2 · Member

I have been hunting to find an explanation of what the "percentage" result means for a HbA1c test result with no conclusion. A typical figure is 7% but 7% of what? Thanks for any inputs.

2. hankjam

hankjam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

3. Hiitsme

Hiitsme Type 2 · Well-Known Member

4. sally and james

sally and james Family member · Well-Known Member

I think it is slightly more complicated than this, but it's the percentage of your blood cells which are glycated, that is they have a sugar molecule attached to them.
    Sally

5. LezLezLez

• Like Like x 1
  6. LezLezLez

Hi Sally - thanks for your perfectly clear answer.

7. hankjam

hankjam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

pedants are good...
    I actually broke one of my golden rules by posting links without explanation...
    Units of HbA1c have changed in the UK.
    As you now know the proportion of hemoglobin that is glycolated, has a sugar attached, used to be mmol / mol, mmol of hemoglobin with sugar attached to mols of hemoglobin, which I liked. They've now changed it to a percent, which I don't, % is not a SI unit...

8. sally and james

sally and james Family member · Well-Known Member

A % is a universal mathematical statement. The "old" SI units are, as stated above, mmol per mol. The first "m" means a "milli", which means a one thousandth. A "mol" is a special unit of measurement, pronounced "mole", so, unless scientifically trained, you can read it as, "a certain number of very tiny little bits of something in a bigger bit of something". The important thing is to get used to the numbers and what is high, what is low and what is acceptable. After all, none of us look in our wallets and think what percentage the contents are of the Gross Domestic Product, we just calculate if we have enough to see us through 'til Friday.
    Sally

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook