Hba1c tests

Sukayalid

Hi all, can anyone tell me what the cut of is for diabetes. My last one was 50, NHS says cut of is 48 what questions do I need to ask Docter on Tuesday, I get blurry vision on occasion and have mild neuropathy in feet. But they still have me as borderline?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
yes 48 and you are classed as having diabetes I am afraid. The blurry vision is caused by you blood sugar levels spiking up beyond a certain level (probably > 10 mmol/l). The HbA1c is an average so that is why ou are getting your symptoms. You need to reduce the amount of foods that you are eating and spiking you high. Let us know what you eat and we should be able to help you return your vision to normal and relieve and over time potentially reduce those neuropathy symptoms.

Doctors seem fixated on the average but it is those peaks that are causing the damage when they last for longer than they should. You do not say if you are T2 but if you are with a small change in your diet and with some exercise we may be able to get you into a safe range.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Non-diabetic levels for HbA1c are up to 41, 42-47 is 'prediabtic', 48 and above is diabetic.

Sukayalid

I was told after blood test that I was borderline not actually t2 so get no help with feet or vision. I have been on low carb since diagnosed prediabetic after Gtt last year June. Lost 30lb in weight since then. I test morning and evening and occassional after meals as strips are expensive. Fasting is always between 6 and seven but evening varies sometimes six but a few nights last month had readings of 3, 3.8, 3.2 and was a little lightheaded. Been depressed recently and very irritable so doc put me on citalopram for depression which I think was caused by stress at work as well as emotional consequences of diabetes.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm ... if you haven't got a good understanding with your doctor and don't know what to ask, you'll just get more confused I guess. Get a printout of all your test results and as @Andrew Colvin says put them on here with the type of food you eat. Do you need to lose weight?
You're marginal T2 so you're well placed to feel better soon.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, Being diagnosed with an HbA1c of 50 is not too bad. It is a level where if left, you will experience further complications over time. But there are lots of people on here would be envious of being diagnosed at HbA1c of 50 as many are considerably higher.

You are in an excellent position to reduce this figure by following a Low Carb High Fat diet, as lots do on this forum.

Your doctor will probably direct you to the NHS diet with the 'eat well plate' and send you on a DESMOND course.

They will tell you, (as they did me) that they are happy if you can keep your figures between 43 & 53 but warn you at the same time, that it will progress.

Facts are Reduce your figures and it won't.

Stay on here, follow what we all do, and you will get that figures down considerably.

Lastly, don't panic it will all make sense eventually.

Neil