Hba1c Vs BG reading help please

Rrlacy

Hello,

I had Gestational diabetes with both my children and am on the radar now for monitoring. I've had a blood test and my HBA1C result came back as 61.

I've only been given a result and no advice as yet.

What a GP friend has advised is that I "lower it" as another high reading will mean I'm diabetic.

Prior to the test I had been using a libre arm scanner and found EVERYTHING raised my blood glucose and I never had a reading below the high 7's except for when I had a lot of red wine. In spite the high readings, they'd lower after 2-3 hours.

If I manage to lower my hba1c levels but my BG readings are still high, what does this mean?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hba1c is a measurement of how exposed to glucose your red blood cells have been during their lifetime (which averages 12 weeks) The readings from a libre or meter show in real time what those levels are. To lower you hb1ac you will need to lower those daily readings. A libre is going to be really helpful if you repeat it but a meter will still do the job.

what raises levels are carbs, and it’s likely you are eating some carbs at each meal/snack. So the challenge I’ll be to reduce the amount and frequency of carbs. Healthy, unprocessed fats will not raise blood glucose levels. So that’s the naturally occurring ones and ditch the processed things like veg oils and marg as they cause a lot of problems in us all. Proteins potentially might cause a smaller rise in particular circumstances but in type 2 that’s not normally something you need to worry about right now.

Just focus on the carbs. That’s not just sugar but anything containing grains (of any colour) so breads,, pasta, pastry,cereals including porridge and rice potatoes and any other highly starchy veg (usually root veg like parsnip and to some extent carrots)

Have a read of these links for loads more information and links to useful sites to help.

Intro to T2 and low carb. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/
All the things I wish I’d been told earlier https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ish-i’d-been-told-at-type-2-diagnosis.173817/