Type 1 HBA1C

kb2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I have been a T1 for 8 year's but I have not been to my Diabetic Clinic in the past 2 years. I am awaiting my referral to the clinic from my GP at this time. When I visited my GP to be referred, he sent me to have my HBA1C in the surgery. I got my results today and it was 60. When speaking with the receptionist, she said I should contact my Diabetic Clinic right away to speak with the Nurse, however the clinic is closed now until tomorrow. She then said if I have no luck tomorrow getting through to contact the GP again right away and take it from there.

What should I expect to come from this?
Has it happened to anyone else?

What I am really asking is, surely this won't lead to a hospital admittance?

Any responses are greatly appreciated

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
60 is a bit high but not really a lot to worry about as far as I'm concerned, but most people on these forums would probably say it's worse than that due to an apparent obsession with very low HbA1c. Anything in the 40-50 range is good if you ask me. Unless you're experiencing something else because of it, i.e bad eye sight or something, I don't think there is anything more to it than try to get it a bit lower.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

I am T2 and not an insulin user. It would help with further replies if you tell us which insulin regime you are on, and how you manage your diabetes.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I got my results today and it was 60. When speaking with the receptionist, she said I should contact my Diabetic Clinic right away
If it was only your hba1c he referred you for you're not in a hurry. It's a bit high, but not exceptionally, and surely not a reason for a hospital admittance.
Call them tomorrow to make an appointment. Good luck with getting more control over your diabetes, you'll get there!

kb2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome,

I am T2 and not an insulin user. It would help with further replies if you tell us which insulin regime you are on, and how you manage your diabetes.
Of course. I am using Novorapid and Lantus, 17 units at night. I have 2 pens of Lantus left before i start Abasaglar (which is now Lantus's new name)

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
TID 51 years, in Oz.
Not sure if you are on any other medications but my doctor many years ago prescribed a blood pressure tablet to protect my kidneys long term. That may be worth asking about.
In Oz eye tests are usual for diabetics every 2 years and usually a yearly urine test to check for kidney issues.
And I assume you have been seeing some doctor for continuation of your driver's license within the past 2 years. Keeping yourself free of hypos is important as I am sure you know.
Before my diabetes appmt my doc used get me to do intensive finger pricks tests for 2 days or so, before meals and 2 hours after meals, to see what my BSLs were and so that any changes to insulin doses and timing could be worked out.
It might pay you to do some such readings before the appointment as this will give the doc the sort of information to best help you. Continuous Blood Glucose Monitoring (CGM) is the fancy and more detailed way to do these tests.
I read information that the blood sugar control in the first 10 years or so of being diagnosed with diabetes has a bearing on the risk of complications later in life. So it sounds like your visit is timely to help you keep as stable as possible.
Best Wishes. Diet, Exercise and Insulin.