Type 1 HBA1c

aileenmoore00

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all, my levels have not been the best over the past few years. My HBA1C is just over 11% and I do not want complications further down the line.

I really want to try and feel better, because the ups and downs are so bad.

Any advice on what got you back on target and lowered your A1C.

Many thanks

Reactions: Knikki
K

Knikki

Hi @aileenmoore00 carb count and eat less.

Yes I know that sounds stupid but if all you do is eat pizza for example then it is going to be tricky to manage things.

Have look for "Bertie online" which can be a start for carb counting.

I assume your on multiple injections?

If so then look up how to Basel test because if you get your background, long last insulin right then it will, make managing eating and cacilation meal doses easier.

If you can or if you have access to from your DSN then get hold of a Libre, they are great for seeing how you regime is going and can be a useful tool in helping you get your HB1aC down.

Also talk to your medical team, they may also have advice.

It's not going to happen over night and will take some time to sort out.

But good luck, keep asking questions and let us know how your getting on.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reducing carbs significantly, walking and fear of high sugar consequences.

Reactions: aileenmoore00

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
I agree with Jat1. The medical world can't decide whether fat is good or bad, but it is certainly much easier to control your weight if you up your fat and lower your carb intake. Carbs are addictive, eat less carb and you should feel less hungry. I used to eat large meals and then have seconds. I eat much less now and I can go many hours before I feel hungry. We are all different, but it worked for me. (Other health problems have lessened or disappeared too. Who said fat kills? If it does ,at least I will die healthy;)

Reactions: aileenmoore00
D

Deleted Account

As someone with type 1, I have not reduced my carbs.
I focus on the correct insulin dose and timing.
Dose size comes from basal testing and carb counting (as @Knikki described). Timing requires more effort and trial and error. For example, something with high carbs and fat such as pizza takes longer to digest so requires multiple injections whereas a less carbs meal can usual be managed with a single injection.
You didn’t mention weight loss so I would focus on frequent testing and getting your insulin dose correct.
It may help getting a friend or partner on board. My boyfriend would carb count with me and we would compare results (my count was usually higher than his). It became a little bit of a competition... but in a fun way.

There is a lot of talk on this forum of low carb dieting. Most of this advice is focused on people with type 2. However, I know some people with type 1 find it has helped them as it requires lower insulin doses so less chance of making mistakes.
If this suits you, go for it. But don’t get dragged into believing “diabetes” is the same for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator: