HbA1c

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
What should this be ?? :wideyed: I have no idea what all these numbers are as my Nurse has never explained it to me, I did ask what mine was when i went the other day and she said 57 ? :blackeye:

Ann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What should this be ?? :wideyed: I have no idea what all these numbers are as my Nurse has never explained it to me, I did ask what mine was when i went the other day and she said 57 ? :blackeye:

I have been diabetic now for 42 years and I have never understood the logic in HBA1c results or why medical staff are so fanatical about them.
As I have been led to believe HBA1c rrsults are an average over a 3 month period. So therefore if you have a high number of 85.8 and equal number of -1.6 then you would get an HBA1c of 42.1 which is a great result but isn't showing the true picture of badly controlled diabetes. Am I right or am I missing something?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. This website has alot of info on the HBa1C and conversion factors. To some extent you are right that the HBa1C is a sort of avergae and doesn't take acocunt of highs and lows. This is why meter testing after meals is also important to check spiking. The HBa1C remains very useful and reliable however particularly for those who don't meter test very often