HDL cholesterol could help combat artery hardening

DCUK NewsBot

Higher levels of high-density lipoprotein (often called HDL cholesterol) could help to reverse effects of cardiovascular disease among those with diabetes, a mouse study suggests. Atherosclerosis is the name of the condition in which plaques form in the arteries, raising the risk of heart attack and stroke. A team from the New York University School of Medicine tested whether the problem of atherosclerosis could be reduced in mice with higher levels of HDL cholesterol and low level of low-density lipoprotein (LDL cholesterol). The team tested mice with and without diabetes. The team carried out their research by transplanting blood vessel plaques into the different groups of mice and then reviewed whether the extent of the plaques improved in any of the groups. Results showed that the presence of diabetes generally hindered improvement of the plaques, however, there were signs of reversal of atherosclerosis in the mice with diabetes and higher levels of HDL. The researchers suggest that a similar result may be found in humans too. The team believes that the result show that HDL helps to transport cholesterol away from cells, reducing inflammation and preventing a dangerous build-up of plaque in the blood vessels. HDL cholesterol is sometimes referred to as 'good cholesterol'. However, both HDL and LDL are both needed in the blood. Lead study author Dr Edward Fisher said: "Our study results argue that raising levels of functional good cholesterol addresses inflammatory roots of atherosclerosis driven by cholesterol build-up beyond what existing drugs can achieve. "Good cholesterol is back as therapeutic target because we now understand its biology well enough to change it in ways that lower disease risk." Many previous treatments for atherosclerosis have been more focused towards lowering LDL than raising HDL. The researchers believe that focusing on raising HDL could play an in important role in decreasing the risk of cardiovascular disease in humans. The findings have been published in the journal Circulation.

Continue reading...

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yipee!
I hv high HDL and mild atherosclerosis. Like their mouse. I like cheese in moderation.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Hate to be cynical, but I wonder if this is a precursor to a new range of drugs targeting HDL (Which to date have all failed). The importance of VitK2 and it's ability to remove plaque from the arteries and put calcium where it is meant to be, along with a multitude of other roles it plays such as bone stripping and remodeling, improved insulin sensitivity etc will be over looked?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hate to be cynical, but I wonder if this is a precursor to a new range of drugs targeting HDL (Which to date have all failed). The importance of VitK2 and it's ability to remove plaque from the arteries and put calcium where it is meant to be, along with a multitude of other roles it plays such as bone stripping and remodeling, improved insulin sensitivity etc will be over looked?
Yep on that too @tophat. Still get occasional breathing trouble and chest pain. Will mention to GP after x-ray on back results heard, this week. Calcium supplements too.
Bit suspicious as back/pelvis only started on canagliflozin.

M

Member496333

I'm going to be put into an Austin Powers style cryogenic sleep. Someone wake me up in a hundred years when we've stopped obsessing over cholesterol.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm going to be put into an Austin Powers style cryogenic sleep. Someone wake me up in a hundred years when we've stopped obsessing over cholesterol.
It is the key to prevention of thousands of heart damage and failure. No biggy.
I know though. Cholesterol is being investigated. About time though.

M

Member496333

It is the key to prevention of thousands of heart damage and failure.

I disagree. Preventing damage to the endothelium is the key to preventing heart disease. The cholesterol is trying to fix the damage.

The 1950s just called. They want their science back.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I disagree. Preventing damage to the endothelium is the key to preventing heart disease. The cholesterol is trying to fix the damage.

The 1950s just called. They want their science back.
Yep a sticky plaster.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Yep on that too @tophat. Still get occasional breathing trouble and chest pain. Will mention to GP after x-ray on back results heard, this week. Calcium supplements too.
Bit suspicious as back/pelvis only started on canagliflozin.

Worth speaking to your Gp about that stuff.

To be honest, I wouldn't take calcium supplements if you paid me a ton of money.

Reactions: Triffo

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Worth speaking to your Gp about that stuff.

To be honest, I wouldn't take calcium supplements if you paid me a ton of money.
Mine is due to lack of absorbancy after Roux-en-y not for heart disease protection.

Reactions: Tophat1900