Headaches and Migraines

woomygrrl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Afternoon all,

It's been a bit of a ride with my diabetes so bare with me!

I started dapagliflozin in September 2021 and it helped reduce my blood glucose level very quickly. Unfortunately I started having severe headaches and migraines. I spoke with my diabetic nurse who said headaches/migraines were not a side effect of dapagliflozin. But the headaches continued.

On 1st December 2021, I woke up at 03:35am with the worst headache I'd ever had. It genuinely felt like someone had took a hammer to my temple. After about 5 mins the pain started to ease but it took me about 45 mins to get back to sleep. I spoke with 111 in the morning and carted myself off to A&E. 13 hours later, multiple blood tests, a lumbar puncture and a CT scan they sent me home. They said it was a "thunderclap" headache and I was convinced it was related to the dapagliflozin.

I spoke with the diabetic nurse the following day who agreed with my suggestion to come off to the dapagliflozin temporarily to see if it helped with the migraines. I was also prescribed sumatriptin to help.

I've been off the dapagliflozin for about a month now, but I've not been controlling my diet. No headaches until today, but yesterday I made a conscious effort not to eat loads of bad food. I have a feeling the headaches are going to reemerge as my blood glucose returns to normal. It's currently between 10mmol and 17mmol

I'm looking for advice, hints and tips on how to wean myself off the carbs/sugar without going cold turkey. But also how to cope with sugar withdrawal to avoid headaches/migraines.

Thank you in advance!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm looking for advice, hints and tips on how to wean myself off the carbs/sugar without going cold turkey. But also how to cope with sugar withdrawal to avoid headaches/migraines.

On the first point, could you do it meal by meal? So start by making breakfast sugar free/low carb, then move on to the other meals?

I did go cold turkey, and on diagnosis I still had chronic migraines (treating 6 to 8 a month) and going cold turkey did make them worse for a time, but ultimately eating very low carb (less than 20g/day) has cured the migraines as well as putting type 2 into remission.

I’d advise making sure you’re properly hydrated and make sure you get enough salt and other electrolytes, especially magnesium.

Good luck and keep us informed!

woomygrrl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On the first point, could you do it meal by meal? So start by making breakfast sugar free/low carb, then move on to the other meals?

I did go cold turkey, and on diagnosis I still had chronic migraines (treating 6 to 8 a month) and going cold turkey did make them worse for a time, but ultimately eating very low carb (less than 20g/day) has cured the migraines as well as putting type 2 into remission.

I’d advise making sure you’re properly hydrated and make sure you get enough salt and other electrolytes, especially magnesium.

Good luck and keep us informed!

Thank you for your advice, it's much appreciated.

I've always struggled with electrolytes when I've done keto. Magnesium supplements have brought headaches on so I tend to avoid them. Any tips on dealing with keto-flu?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your advice, it's much appreciated.

I've always struggled with electrolytes when I've done keto. Magnesium supplements have brought headaches on so I tend to avoid them. Any tips on dealing with keto-flu?

Really it's the same as above - ensuring enough salt and electrolytes and staying hydrated. I'm surprised to hear that magnesium supplements bring on headaches. Did they contain fillers? That could be behind it and sourcing some without could help. Alternatively increase foods which are high in magnesium in your diet.

Are you aware of the work of Dr Angela Stanton? She's written books and has a track record of supporting people to overcome migraines through diet. There is a Facebook group too. I'll try and find the link to that later.

Editing to add the promised link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/MigraineSufferers/?ref=share

Last edited:

mouseee

Migraine Buddy is an excellent app which allows you to record symptoms, onset, recovery etc which you can use to find patterns. It's brilliant and I found out lots about my migraines and their triggers from using it.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe this was the magnesium I bought: https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/s...magnesium-tablets-375mg-60005830?skuid=046947

Thank you for the link as well, I do appreciate it.

If you look at the ingredients list, you'll see there are many fillers and non-essential ingredients. I'd wager they're far more likely to cause a headache than magnesium itself.

I currently use this brand, which has no fillers at all - just the magnesium glycinate and the capsule. NB it says 750mg per capsule, but the elemental magnesium is just 20% of that so 150mg per capsule.

https://amzn.to/3zMLe6n

mouseee

Do you find magnesium makes a difference? I was wondering about it for migraines and supposedly it also helps carb craving???
Any thoughts??

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you find magnesium makes a difference? I was wondering about it for migraines and supposedly it also helps carb craving???
Any thoughts??

I no longer have migraines since going keto, so I take the magnesium for other reasons - to ward off cramps primarily, but also as a co-factor for vitamin d3 absorption. Its supposed to aid sleep, but that's not the case for me.

Dr Ken Berry has done a number of videos on magnesium and magnesium deficiency. I've linked to one below, but also see his you tube channel. Best stop there to avoid derailing!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take magnesium citrate daily. I started it because of leg cramps (which have now gone). My migraines have lessened but not gone completely and I also take vit D and Vit C. So I can't say what has cured what, but I seem to be doing OK on half the recommended dose