Healthier Sugar Snacks for Hypos

Tris83

Hi folks

Has anyone found sugary sweets that do not contain palm oil, trans fats or other nasty additives? I would like to carry something for hypos when out & about that isn't too bad for me to eat. Standard glucose tablets are a bit sickening. Liquids not convenient, especially if flying.

try gluco tabs or you can get lucozade tabs

HellyMac

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I tend to use Dextrose tablets and have many packets or half packets stashed in coat pockets, the car, work bag, handbag etc but I also carry sachets of sugar when I am travelling (available in every cafe) and I just add to a bottle of water if needed.

• Informative
Reactions: FatCatAnna

Amanda Moore

I use dextrose glucose tablets and carry it around with me everywhere I go for when I feel like I am going into a hypo. That only happens when my blood sugars are too low.

Reactions: FatCatAnna

LongtermIDD

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get Glucagon on prescription and can't see why any Type 1 would be refused the same.

Mind you, Glucagon tastes like s.. t and is like treacle. As such it can be hard to administer. Anyone else find it cumbersome? Might be free, but Dextrose is preferable.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I get Glucagon on prescription and can't see why any Type 1 would be refused the same.

Mind you, Glucagon tastes like s.. t and is like treacle. As such it can be hard to administer. Anyone else find it cumbersome? Might be free, but Dextrose is preferable.
Did you mean glucogel?
Glucagon is only available in injections in the UK, and usually only administered when you're unconscious.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to admit when hypoing the fact that my go to Jelly Babies/Dextrose may not be healthy doesn’t come into the equation anywhere. It’s got to be sugar based which is not healthy anyway but pretty critical. The point is, hypos are not healthy and far more worrying than the sugar treating it. The trick is to work hard at cutting down the hypos. Perhaps set warnings higher so like @ert you could eat a bit of fruit to ward off an actual low. I do this myself.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
These days ( post Libre ) I find it hard to remember having anything that feels like a hypo ( I am hypo aware) all down to setting alarm on libre I take mini can of “ full fat “ cola plus a couple of digestive biscuits I can remember pre Libre I wouldn’t know till the hypo was there then it was carnage eat the contents of the fridge cupboard even the dog bowl if I had a dog

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone found sugary sweets that do not contain palm oil, trans fats or other nasty additives?
What about plain sugar (cubes)?
No additives, and only a very little tad slower than dexro and the likes.
I like using honey as well, not to avoid additives but because I happen to have a pot of very good honey. Again, possibly a little slower than dextro or glucogel, but not enough to make a noticable difference for me. And I detest the taste of dextro so much that trying to use it would hold the risk of not treating my hypo so I'm better off with something I actually like.

Reactions: Mike88