Healthier Sugar Snacks for Hypos

Mike88

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi folks

Has anyone found sugary sweets that do not contain palm oil, trans fats or other nasty additives? I would like to carry something for hypos when out & about that isn't too bad for me to eat. Standard glucose tablets are a bit sickening. Liquids not convenient, especially if flying.

Thanks very much

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi folks

Has anyone found sugary sweets that do not contain palm oil, trans fats or other nasty additives? I would like to carry something for hypos when out & about that isn't too bad for me to eat. Standard glucose tablets are a bit sickening. Liquids not convenient, especially if flying.

Thanks very much
I use Lift blueberry glucose tabs followed by dried fruit.

Must admit to correcting a hypo before it becomes a hypo :cool:. Have the Libre set to alarm at 4.8 and only use the glucose tablets if I feel hypo.....otherwise raisins or sultanas which I keep in the little pots that the glucose sticks come in. One pot is 10gm carbs so always have a few in my handbag when out and about.
The fruit counts towards your 5 a day fruit/veg too :D

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I too set my libre at 4.8 and seeing as libre reads lower than actual bs then I have a bit of lee way , if I do have hypo I’m not really bothered what I eat as long as it get rId of my hypo ,

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I eat fruit when my blood sugar drops below 4 mmol/l which is alarmed by my DEXCOM. I only eat dextro if my sugars drop below 3.5 mmol/l and I drink coffee with them.

Mike88

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I use fruit pastilles. Easy to carry and mostly sugar.
Interesting - compared to other sweets the ingredients are relatively less harmful. Hopefully others will follow suit. This could be the answer. Something that I can leave in my car or bag & won't melt. Luckily I don't get many hypos. Thanks

Reactions: FatCatAnna

Optium

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting - compared to other sweets the ingredients are relatively less harmful. Hopefully others will follow suit. This could be the answer. Something that I can leave in my car or bag & won't melt. Luckily I don't get many hypos. Thanks
.. fruit pastilles or jelly babies are my go to for low sugars

Type of diabetes
Type 1
For me there is only one answer and that is orange or lemon flavoured Dextrose. It is almost instant, no waiting for it to dissolve like pastilles and jelly babies, pleasant taste and the orange added vitamin C for what that is worth. I always have a twin pack in my hip pocket and others in the car, brief case, golf bag, etc. It will hang around for several years before going off.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jelly babies, recommended years ago by a nutritionist, work brilliantly for me. I always stick to Maynards Bassetts as I know exactly how they act (also more sugar than some other brands). I find them really easy to carry too - shove 3 into a snack size ziplock/resealable bag and alwayshave some in a pocket. Yes, they have artificial colours but as I don't like them much I'm never tempted to eat them except fix a hypo :D

petermardell1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who follow a Carb free diet.
We should be having a balanced diet, and not excluding any food types.
Although, I don't use any sugar or salt, at home.
You can get FAST ACTING DEXTROSE GEL, on persciption. Normally, come in packs of 3 25g tubes. i.e. GLUCOGEL. Useful to carry around.

I have been getting them for years. Very surprised, that people are not aware of this. Even more handy, now that Lucasade, has less sugar, than some ordinary, Lemonades. Peter.