Healthy Fat

Caz_B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am replacing the carbs with fat and probably eating far too many eggs and cheese. Can anyone tell me what are the best fat foods to eat. I am also snacking in nuts and have single cream in coffee and on my berries. Thank you x

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
The best sources of fats are any real foods, made without excessive factory processing so eggs, real full fat cream and Greek yoghurt, unprocessed cheese, any meats with fat on or in them including proper butcher's sausages and bacon and decent quality salami, olives, nuts, avocados, olive oil, butter, lard, coconut oil, oily fish and probably much much more. The key is to eat Real food, so avoid margarine, "lite", "low fat" products, seed oils, spreads, and anything that, quite frankly, looks processed and unreal.
Sally

acs1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It does seem to go against the medical advice a few years ago to cut down fats but I have switched to the same sort of diet with bacon, eggs, cheese, nuts, fish and meat but it works me and helpa weight control too. The reak junk foods would seem to me to me to be cakes, biscuits, pasta, milk chocolate and potatoes.

Reactions: dbr10

caroline_92

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Couldn't agree more on the eat real food advice - or in the words of Michael Pollan who has written a great book on this - eat only food your grandmother would recognise as food!

Reactions: lindijanice

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
One of the fats not recommended and not mentioned yet are cooking oils made from seed/soy. Cooking oils that are highly processed and are as inflammatory as carbs imo. They also tend to be higher in omega 6s.

I have gone back to using butter, suet, lard and duck fat to cook with and to olive oil (the best I can afford) for raw drizzling.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It does seem to go against the medical advice a few years ago to cut down fats but I have switched to the same sort of diet with bacon, eggs, cheese, nuts, fish and meat but it works me and helpa weight control too. The reak junk foods would seem to me to me to be cakes, biscuits, pasta, milk chocolate and potatoes.
Certainly does go against previous advice.... In fact, in one HCLF book eggs (fried, omelette, Scotch egg, scrambled) are on a list of foods not recommended 'for regular use by diabetics'. Along with bacon, beefburgers, cream, Stilton and cream cheese. No bacon and eggs?? Horrors!!

Reactions: Guzzler

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Certainly does go against previous advice.... In fact, in one HCLF book eggs (fried, omelette, Scotch egg, scrambled) are on a list of foods not recommended 'for regular use by diabetics'. Along with bacon, beefburgers, cream, Stilton and cream cheese. No bacon and eggs?? Horrors!!
I'd starve.