Healthy Low Carb ‘Convenience’ Snack

Grace04

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I’m trying to stick to a low carb diet and generally managing pretty well. We’ve just come back from a holiday where I did fall off the wagon but that’s another story.

Anyway, what I’m wondering is what snacks people throw in their bags if they’re heading out for a long walk or something similar.

I had found some snack bars that are just 7 grams of carb each but having now watched Chris Van Tuleken‘s You Tube on ultra processed food I really don’t feel like eating anymore of them!

I know you can go for a hard boiled egg or cheese, but there really are times I fancy something sweet.….

Reactions: jpscloud

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve seen people recommend the small bars of montazuma chocolate from Aldi, I don’t shop in Aldi so can’t give you any more info than that eg carbs per bar etc. I sometimes put a couple of squares of 85% Lindt in my bag or a little tub of strawberries or raspberries, a handful of nuts in a little tub. You could make some nut clusters which can be very satisfying. Just melt some good low carb chocolate and stir in a few mixed nuts either spread out on greaseproof paper so you can break it when set or do little spoonfuls then bag them up. I like this made with salted nuts.

Have to admit though I don’t often take snacks with me as I don’t snack and if I do I often find them battered and bruised at the bottom of my bag a few weeks later

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's a tricky one! When I'm on track my general rule is "If it tastes sweet, it's not on the menu!" but I know some people use erythritol, stevia, xylitol and others on low carb but these also fall into the category of ultra processed, I think - my problem with them is that they always make me crave more sweetness/carbs and I end up lapsing.

I have really struggled previously but in my renewed efforts to go low carb I have started to actually treat my sugar addiction for what it is and be determined in avoiding sweet things, even low carb and sugar free ones but this is not to say you have the same issues around sugar as I do!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really don’t do sweet. Even low carb sweet stuff has a tendency to trigger cravings. I have got so used to no sweet stuff, that I no longer even like the smell of anything sweet.
Rather than snacking, if I have to go somewhere that I know won’t have decent, low carb choices, (NHS hospitals for example) I take along a small box with a freezer block to keep everything fresh. Most recently I took a small tub of tuna, they now have fridge pots with lids, a tub with a few teaspoons of Greek yogurt and frozen raspberries, and a tiny sealed bag with 10 almonds. Enough to sustain me in a five hour wait. Had a bottle of water with me, but managed to find a decent coffee.

Grace04

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve seen people recommend the small bars of montazuma chocolate from Aldi, I don’t shop in Aldi so can’t give you any more info than that eg carbs per bar etc. I sometimes put a couple of squares of 85% Lindt in my bag or a little tub of strawberries or raspberries, a handful of nuts in a little tub. You could make some nut clusters which can be very satisfying. Just melt some good low carb chocolate and stir in a few mixed nuts either spread out on greaseproof paper so you can break it when set or do little spoonfuls then bag them up. I like this made with salted nuts.

Have to admit though I don’t often take snacks with me as I don’t snack and if I do I often find them battered and bruised at the bottom of my bag a few weeks later
Thank you, I go to Aldi occasionally so I’ll take a look next time I’m there. I like the idea of low carb chocolate and nut snacks.mof I make them myself at least I know what’s in them.

I wish I didn’t snack. I don’t all the time, bit sometimes, especially when with others who are, I find it difficult to resist.

Grace04

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's a tricky one! When I'm on track my general rule is "If it tastes sweet, it's not on the menu!" but I know some people use erythritol, stevia, xylitol and others on low carb but these also fall into the category of ultra processed, I think - my problem with them is that they always make me crave more sweetness/carbs and I end up lapsing.

I have really struggled previously but in my renewed efforts to go low carb I have started to actually treat my sugar addiction for what it is and be determined in avoiding sweet things, even low carb and sugar free ones but this is not to say you have the same issues around sugar as I do!
Yes, I now worry about the sweeteners as Van Tuleken says there’s a theory that getting your body expecting sugar, by tasting the sweeteners, and then not providing makes it increase glucose in the bloodstream, so it’s probably best avoided as much as possible :(

Grace04

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I really don’t do sweet. Even low carb sweet stuff has a tendency to trigger cravings. I have got so used to no sweet stuff, that I no longer even like the smell of anything sweet.
Rather than snacking, if I have to go somewhere that I know won’t have decent, low carb choices, (NHS hospitals for example) I take along a small box with a freezer block to keep everything fresh. Most recently I took a small tub of tuna, they now have fridge pots with lids, a tub with a few teaspoons of Greek yogurt and frozen raspberries, and a tiny sealed bag with 10 almonds. Enough to sustain me in a five hour wait. Had a bottle of water with me, but managed to find a decent coffee.
That all sounds very sensible, I’ll look out for small tins of tuna. It’s something I enjoy so it might work.

Perhaps I need to try to train myself off sugar as well as carbs. I’ll give it a go, thank you for the suggestion.

Reactions: Pipp

Grace04

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just had a small apricot after my lunch. I'm still amazed that they are only 3 carbs and they don't make my numbers dance. When they are available they are my go to snack.
I’m not a fan of apricots, it I do like raspberries and strawberries, so that might be a way to go…..

Thank you.

Reactions: Pipp and Margarettt

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I always take a bag of nuts. Preferably not peanuts as they do raise my BG levels, real nuts have very little effect and are healthy.

Reactions: Pipp and Grace04

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I now worry about the sweeteners as Van Tuleken says there’s a theory that getting your body expecting sugar, by tasting the sweeteners, and then not providing makes it increase glucose in the bloodstream, so it’s probably best avoided as much as possible :(
I'm a few days into what I call "proper" low carb high fat, and my breakfast broccoli now tastes sweet! Well sweet ish, and another thing I've really noticed is that coffee (I grind my own) smells and tastes 100% better than before.

Reactions: Pipp and Grace04

Grace04

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I always take a bag of nuts. Preferably not peanuts as they do raise my BG levels, real nuts have very little effect and are healthy.
That’s a good healthy choice. I’ve narrowed my choice of nuts, since going low carb, to macadami, brasil and walnut. So I‘ll start carrying a small container of those with me.

Many thank.

Reactions: Pipp and jjraak

Grace04

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a few days into what I call "proper" low carb high fat, and my breakfast broccoli now tastes sweet! Well sweet ish, and another thing I've really noticed is that coffee (I grind my own) smells and tastes 100% better than before.
I really enjoy quiet strong coffee now, which I didn’t previously. Good luck with you new LCHF diet.

mouseee

The curators pork puffs. Og carbs for 25g of 'crisps'. Salted flavour, smoky bacon flavour are both great. Think the bacon ones might have 1g. Both these are lovely. Also do a cheese flavour. Amazon do them for thr same price as the website but obviously if you have prime makes it cheaper.

Grace04

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The curators pork puffs. Og carbs for 25g of 'crisps'. Salted flavour, smoky bacon flavour are both great. Think the bacon ones might have 1g. Both these are lovely. Also do a cheese flavour. Amazon do them for thr same price as the website but obviously if you have prime makes it cheaper.
I’ve never tried these but will give them a go. Thank you.

Reactions: jpscloud

rhaardoerfer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also go for nuts. I had a fatty liver and started eating walnuts intentionally. I still really like them. Also cashews are good when I’m active on the go.

Reactions: Grace04