Type 2 Heart issues?

Dend0

Hello all! I'm new to the forum but I've been a lurker for a little while. I'm 29 and have been overweight from childhood. This is gonna be a bit of a life story, sorry!
I'm not officially diagnosed yet but I might as well be. I had an hba1c test in February which came back at 54mmol, then to confirm I did another one a month later which came back at 49, nurse wants to wait 3 months to test again. I've been on a keto diet since September last year, so I should definitely be diagnosed.

Over the years I've had some cardiac and breathing issues, I was a smoker too(I know, I know):
Started getting breathing issues in 2010, it came and would disappear within an hour or two each time but it was so few and far between that I'd forget about it.
Since at least 2010ish, my resting heart rate was always around 90bpm. Nothing I tried reduced it. I felt normal, it was normal for me.
I noticed that after I ate food, sometimes my heart would start racing, like it was trying to jump out of my chest.
In 2013 I was 22, I was diagnosed with prediabetes, Impaired Glucose Tolerance and Impaired Fasting lucose. I asked my doctor if my heart problem was a part of that. He said "it's most likely something wrong with your heart itself". So he sent me to get some tests done and that I should quit smoking, I didn't quit, I was stupid. At the same time I was sent to the asthma nurse to see if I had asthma, I wasn't given any tests or anything she just diagnosed me with asthma and send me on my way with some inhalers.
For the heart tests I had a holter monitor on for a week, and an echo. Both came back with a high heart rate overall but the cardiologist said its nothing to worry about and that when it goes really fast it's probably just anxiety. This was really disheartening.

A year later I started getting issues when I did any exercise, whenever I tried to do any intense excercise, especially lifting heavy objects, my heart would race and I would start to get irregular beats and they would get more and more frequent and my chest would become tighter until I stopped and sat down. Went to the doctor, and the cardiologist. They checked my BP and noted that I might have some hypertension. So I was sent out with a week long blood pressure monitor and yeah it was over 140/90 at some points throughout. If you haven't had one before, its a regular blood pressure cuff that you wear for 7 days straight and it inflates and squeezes your arm every hour or so without warning. It's definitely not the most relaxed I can be.

I decided to get a home blood pressure monitor. After a few weeks of use I noticed that my BP was pretty normal when I'm not in a clinical setting, looks like anxiety mixed with some white coat hypertension. I showed my recordings with my cardiologist and matched it with their machine so he decided that I'm not hypertensive and sent me on my way with no follow up for the rest of my issues.

I had also begun having daily asthma attacks, usually starting about 20-30 mins after my first meal of the day, the blue inhaler worked a little, but I really shouldn't have been taking it every day, it's addictive and can cause damage. When my attacks happened at night, it rarely did anything and I'd still have to wait out the attack before being able to go to sleep. Eventually I got moved onto an inhaler called fostair, it was pink and it seemed to work and my breathing issues went away pretty much all together unless I forgot to take it.

I went to my doctor to get another appointment with the cardiologist and it took over a year and a half to get me an actual appointment. 18 months where I was scared to do the things I wanted to do, or had to do, things you wouldn't think would be that intense, mowing the lawn, vaccuming, light stuff would make my heart skip beats until I sat down and chilled out. Research I'd done said that ectopic beats were meant to go away during exercise and if they came on mostly during excercise it meant you had heart disease of some kind. So I was scared to do anything and couldn't get any help. I got fed up of being scared of everything so I decided to get a little mobile ECG monitor so I could catch it myself when it happened. And I did, I ran up and down the stairs 4 times as fast as I could and there it was: beat, beat, beat, ...., BOOM, beat, beat, beat, ....BOOM. Each one like being kicked in the chest. Only problem was this didn't calm down as soon as I sat down. My partner got scared and rang an ambulance, I was panicking, I thought it was just a matter of time until it just stopped beating all together. I finally managed to catch my breath and it all stopped. The ambulance guys got an ECG, it was relatively normal, just the usual 90bpm heart rate. Told me to go to my GP. GP told me we're still waiting for the cardiologist to see me. That week, I got a letter with an appointment to go do a heart echo and visit a cardiologist.

I did the echo, he couldn't read it on the day or get the measurements because my heart was beating 122bpm at the time. Ended up seeing the cardiologist afterwards and he said the echo was fine and didn't see anything wrong with my heart, but took a look at the ECG I took, he said that it could possibly be ischaemia but didn't really know. He gave me some beta blockers (Bisoprolol) and sent me on my way. The fear of ischaemia made me immediately quit smoking (Yay).

A couple of things happened when I quit. Immediately from day 1, I didn't need an inhaler. my breathing problem disappeared immediately and I had no asthma attacks after that day for another 2 and a half years. The day before I'd had 2.
The other thing is that my heart rate plummeted, in the morning it was now 75 at rest. This was unheard of for me. I couldn't believe it. I began been substituting smoking with mint imperials. That week, I ended up in the hospital with heart issues! Crazy high and lots of ectopics. Again, sent on my way.
I decided to let my body get used to not smoking again before starting on the beta blockers, so I didn't take them the first month. My heart rate seemed to return to it's regular rate of 90 over that month.

Started taking the beta blockers and it did massively reduce the ectopics. Now, I was terrified to do anything physical so I don't know for sure if it would have stopped them at that point. The main side effect was that getting up too fast nearly knocked me out, and another I thought was a side effect was eczema appeared on my left leg? I started getting hugely depressed. I thought it was the situation I was in, not able to do anything, having no information and my doctor didn't seem bothered, seeing my friends lead normal lives while I was stuck not really able to do anything. One day again I'd had enough and just started doing stuff again, and it came back in force, so many ectopics in a row. These were premature atrial contractions, I'd caught them on my mobile ECG. I rang my doc and demanded another cardiologist appointment.

This was a new cardiologist. He looked at the ECG and saw the atrial ectopics, he said its nothing to worry about, atrial ones are pretty much always benign. I was relieved a bit from that. He sent me for a stress test.
I arrived in the room and sat on the bed my heart rate was 100bpm. Cardiologist didn't seem bothered about that, he said that my heart could just be reacting because I had to come off my beta blocker the day before. I walked from the bed onto the treadmill before the test and it shot up to 145 just from that. The operator there seemed shocked and asked the cardiologist if they should still go ahead and he said yeah its nothing to worry about. I did the test, did about 5-6 minutes and they said I could stop. I sat down and had some water and they caught a premature ventricular contraction. I hadn't had any of those before. The cardiologist said its fine it could be just one that happens to everyone once a month or so. He said that even if I don't have answers right now at least I know how much exercise I can do so I'm not as scared of it. He took me off the bisoprolol.

Over the next week, the 2 year long depression I'd had disappeared completely. It was bizzare. I checked the side effects of the beta blockers and depression was right there. I had no idea that was causing it. My outlook became much brighter and I became happier. During my depression I didn't give a **** about myself, my health or anything because I saw no way out. Now I was thinking about there being an actual future and wanting to change things, better myself. The eczema on my leg is still with me though.

continued in next post (character counts)

Dend0

Continued

I kept having issues with my heart, at work if I climbed a flight of stairs I'd be floored and my heart would go through the roof and I'd start having ectopics.
I started doing the keto diet last year to hopefully lose some weight. I did it for a month and saw some small results on that front but what actually got me was that my heart rate was lower...and I could do more things. I could actually run up the stairs at work. Run! and I wasn't even out of breath at the top sometimes! My resting heart rate went down to low 80's!

I decided to stay on keto as long as I could and hopefully keep losing weight! It was slow and I did lose about 7kg over a few months. Then christmas came around and I got sick. I had some kind of cold/flu in the first week of January this year. The illness passed and I started to feel better. But I started having periods where I thought I could smell smoke. It was super annoying, I thought it was just my house being too warm or something but it happened other places, then it happened at work. over the next month or so it started getting worse and eventually it became attacks of breathing problems, like I used to have.
I've started to notice that it only seems to happen 40 mins after I eat, and when it does happen my hands become really dry and my eyes sometimes burn. It doesn't seem to happen at the same time as my heart issues though, for the most part my heart rate is low when this happens. I decided to get a blood glucose monitor and see if its high when it happens and I changed doctors surgeries because I felt mine really wasn't helping me. While using the glucose meter, I noticed that my bloods were relatively normal during the day, but in the morning they were always really high, between 9.0 and 11.

By the time I'd got to see my new doctor (Who seems to be a good one!), the breathing issues had subsided for a while, and the blood sugar became my main focus. So I didn't have long to talk to him about everything but he gave me some cream for my leg eczema and sent me for my hba1c.

The first hba1c came back at 54. The nurse basically said that because I'm keto right now I'm doing everything I can and to wait for the next test a month later. I decided that I wanted the next test to more accurately show what my levels are like off-keto. So I started introducing carbs again, went for food at work with people, and started feeling like **** again. I have no idea how but the last hb1ac came back even lower at 49. So...we're waiting for that i guess.

Since the last test, about 6 weeks ago, I've been doing intermittent fasting to try to speed up the weight loss and hopefully send this into remission. It's worked massively on the weight loss side of things and my heart rate has been 67! It hasn't been that low in over 10 years!

I've been on keto and IF for 6 weeks and I've lost 10kg in that time. I actually look thinner and I have lots more energy while I'm fasting. Two nights ago I decided that i'd deserved a cheat day because I'd done so well. (When you feel really good you think you can handle anything). I had 3 chicken kievs, some pickle fries and some baked beans for tea. 20 mins later I got a huge rush of adrenaline, like a panic attack. A massive surge and my heart went super high. I kept calm and my partner and I continued watching the movie we had on. In hindsight I should have checked my BG. My heart rate stayed between 95-115pm most of the night. After the movie I went to play some videogames with some friends, going up the stairs felt like a massive chore. I went to bed about 2am, my heart rate was still high and i checked my blood sugar, it was 7.5, i hadn't eaten anything since the meal at 6pm. I was also really thirsty and peeing a huge amount all night. I decided to try and go to sleep and sleep it off. while in bed my heart rate chilled down to 75bpm so I thought it was over and drifted off to sleep.

An hour later my partner came to bed, I woke up and needed to pee so intensely and my mouth was so massively dry. So i jumped out of bed like I usually would and darted over to the bathroom to pee. I noticed the mistake i'd made doing that, my heart was beating so hard in my chest because I'd done just that, then all of a sudden I started getting Premature Ventricular Contractionss. Lots of them, i used to get Premature Atrial Contractions but these are PVC's, caught them on my ECG with a rate of 140bpm. I managed to get back over to the bed with my heart racing and firing off ectopics and laid down, as I laid down the ectopics stopped but the heart rate was still high. I started shaking, the room was freezing, i'd had the window open, I must have been very warm originally. I drank about 1.5 liters of water and over the next hour started to slowly feel more normal. I got up to pee a couple more times, but wayy more slowly and was ok. My BS was 6.7 at this point. I know that if I'd done anything more strenuous when I first woke up, I'd have probably had a heart attack.

What I think happened: I ate a high carb meal, my sugars skyrocketed (the panicky adrenaline rush), and they slowly came down throughout the night, I was peeing a lot (kidneys working overtime to reduce the sugar) but maybe not replacing that water, so I became massively dehydrated. When I slept my body pushed a lot of water to my bladder but I hadn't drank enough so it took it from everywhere in my body, thats why I was so dehydrated. My heart couldn't keep up with this level of hydration so it started freaking out until I started drinking again. Does that make any sense?

Because of the current COVID pandemic I'm not able to see my docs right now. I'm sure a lot of people here are taking as many precautions as they can.

So I've come to the conclusion after all of this that carbs/sugar are causing or massively exacerbating my heart issue.
Without any carbs I still get the occasional ectopic with exercise but I don't feel like I'm going to die by going upstairs.
In the last week or so I've also had the breathing issue return after certain meals but I'm starting to think I may have an egg allergy/intolerance. But that could be wrong and it could be related to this also.

Overall, I'm scared, but I'm also super tired of being scared. Bored of being scared infact. Figuring it all out goes a long way to helping me be okay.

So the main question after a rather hefty buildup: Has anyone else had heart issues like this in relation to carbs?