Heart Rate above 100bpm

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have Afib but it doesn't always cause fast heart rate. My heart rate drops to forty with frequent 4sec pauses, hence I have a pacemaker with a floor 60 at BPM. It depends what other conditions affects the hearts natural pacemaker re sinus node problems.
When I exercise my heart seldom tops 100bpm.
Slow heart rate can imply one is a very fit person, but not in my case.
It is avrelatively simple job get an ECG done at the surgery to see if you have Afib.
It's best to find out because Afib increases the stroke risk by a factor of x5.
The normal approach then is taking an anticoagulant.
D.
The problem with a.fib is it can come and go. You sound like you have it permanently and yes, some require pacing, it's sometimes slow especially when it becomes permanent. Many are on anticoags if their stroke risk is high. I use the CHADS2 score to assess stroke risk and need for anticoags. Paroxysmal a.fib can be hard to document. That's why they sell those finger electrodes that transmit the rhythm strip to your phone. Many times if it comes and goes it's fast when it comes. But most people can't tell it's fast. Like the person above who posted a heart rate of 162, that's likely a.fib. Apple now has an app for their watch that's designed to help detect a.fib, and they say if you download and use it they'll have someone call you if you might have it and you can speak to a "doctor". Interesting. I wonder if the drug companies who sell those expensive anticoags (Eloquis, Pradaxa, Xarelto) are participating in this. They advertise like crazy here on TV. The people in the ads are extremely happy!