Heat/Humidity & High Readings

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. It's been very hot and humid where I live. Humidex values in the 40s Celcius. My apartment has no air conditioning. It's a sauna in here.

Could this affect my glucose levels? They're hovering around 8-8.5 mmol. I'm on LCHF. My last meal was eggs and cabbage. I'm well hydrated with water.

I can't understand why they're so high. I'm not on meds or insulin. Thanks!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there

Some people do find that hot weather increases their BG levels.

Living in those temperatures with no relief could also be increasing stress or you could be coming down with something - all possible.

I also wonder how you’re storing your meter and strips (assuming that’s how you’re testing). Their accuracy could be affected by the heat, and I know that it’s not usually recommended to keep testing strips in the fridge.

Reactions: neithskye

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Living in those temperatures with no relief could also be increasing stress or you could be coming down with something - all possible.

I also wonder how you’re storing your meter and strips (assuming that’s how you’re testing). Their accuracy could be affected by the heat, and I know that it’s not usually recommended to keep testing strips in the fridge.

Thank you.

This has been happening since about the end of June. I feel fine and my temperature is normal.

My meter and strips are on top of my dresser. Unfortunately everywhere in my apartment is hot and humid. The humidity makes the heat and dampness get everywhere.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I would agree with @Goonergal above. I have been to the Philippines a few times now and discovered quite early on that if I don't keep test strips below 30deg C then even unopened pots start to give unexpected readings by the end of the holiday.

Worth checking the storage conditions to rule it out at least.

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last week in June last year (2019) max day temperatures in London were around 35 degrees C and my blood sugar values shot up to 9 mmol/L two hours after meals. The values were 5.8-7.5 mmol/Ls after same kind of meals at normal temperatures.

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would agree with @Goonergal above. I have been to the Philippines a few times now and discovered quite early on that if I don't keep test strips below 30deg C then even unopened pots start to give unexpected readings by the end of the holiday.

Ah, thanks. Unfortunately there's nowhere safer or cooler to put them, besides the fridge.

It's not so much the heat, it's the humidity. I have to keep my salt and spices in the fridge otherwise they glue together and won't shake out. It's just so darn humid. Everything sticks together.

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last week in June last year (2019) max day temperatures in London were around 35 degrees C and my blood sugar values shot up to 9 mmol/L two hours after meals. The values were 5.8-7.5 mmol/Ls after same kind of meals at normal temperatures.

Thanks.

Interestingly my blood sugar levels are decreasing after I eat. Last night it was 6.7 mmol a few hours after my meal. But I'm not eating much due to the heat, and it starts climbing again until it's back between 8-8.5 mmol.

(I was only diagnosed in 2018, and last summer wasn't this hot and humid, so this is all new to me. I'm in southern Ontario, Canada. By Christmas it'll be -30°C. ;))