Heat-stable Insulin

biscuitmunch

Are there any diabetes health professsionals who know when heat-stable insulin will be available?
I ask this as I have great difficulty in keeping my blood sugar below 10 mmol/L when on holiday in countries, where the temperature regularly exceeds 30 centigrade.
I do know that such a product has been under development, particularly for people living in hot climates, without access to refrigeration.
Martin Scott

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Never heard of it Martin, try searching on google, something may turn up.

Nigel

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've never heard of it so can't be much help in answering your questions. But in the meantime have you considered using the Frio products to keep your insulin cool?

lionrampant

Also, remember to factor in the fact that your own reaction to properly stored insulin will change in hot weather. I know mine does when I'm abroad.

biscuitmunch

Hi everyone.
Thanks for all the replies.
I tried the Frio wallet last year in Turkey. However, it needs to be left in the open air, for it to work properly. So, that means carrying it around when travelling; the moisture within the pack needs to evapoate.
I use Levemir and Novorapid; I could keep the Levemir refrigerated during the day, but I had to take it out with the Novo to use at night and found it difficult to keep them cool.
I have since found out from You-tube that there is a heat-stable insulin under development.
Apparently, diabetics in Africa have to bury their insulins to keep them cool - not everyone has access to a refrigerator...
My A1c had raised significantly following my holiday. Given the heat and the de-hydrating effect of high blood sugars, this did make the holiday a bit of an ordeal.
By the way, the same outcome took place following a fortnight in Lindos in 2008.
Thanks for advice on porcine insulin - I'll look into that.
Martin

biscuitmunch

Thanks for that link.
Here's a You Tube link to a quick video re: the subject in question...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEZQO2kt2Js

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Since Insulin is a protein, it is in it's chemical make up to denature( change its molecular structure) if its temperature strays too far from the ideal. Think of what happens to egg white.
If you are in a hot country, you need to keep thetemperature of your insulin under control.
Hana

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I'm travelling in hot areas, I prefer to carry insulin in an unbreakable steel vacuum flask, replacing cool water daily - much cheaper than Frio wallets and more physical protection against knocks etc. However, for daily use, as long as you keep insulin away from direct sunshine, vehicle engines, radiators etc, it stays cool enough.