Type 1 Heated insulin

David Wass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I've been using fiasp since August apart from the usual highs and lows i get I've not had a problem but since coming away on holiday to Australia I've been getting some very high readings mainly after meals and high temperatures. Temperatures have been getting hotter +30c now and highs are not coming down even though i have doubled my correction dose. I'm on a pump my cool pack broke and only have one vial left which i am hoping is still staying at room temperature as its zipped up in my rucksack. Anyone else been to hot countries and had the same experience?

I do have insurance but hoping not to claim or hoping an aussie doc may give me another if over heated. I've not been out in the sun today but it is still quite humid.

David Wass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I've been using fiasp since August apart from the usual highs and lows i get I've not had a problem but since coming away on holiday to Australia I've been getting some very high readings mainly after meals and high temperatures. Temperatures have been getting hotter +30c now and highs are not coming down even though i have doubled my correction dose. I'm on a pump my cool pack broke and only have one vial left which i am hoping is still staying at room temperature as its zipped up in my rucksack. Anyone else been to hot countries and had the same experience?

I do have insurance but hoping not to claim or hoping an aussie doc may give me another if over heated. I've not been out in the sun today but it is still quite humid.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Room temperature where insulin can be kept for 28 days is 15 - 25 degrees C. So if you are keeping it in a rucksack, in the sun, in temperatures of over 30 degrees C the insulin probably isn't very happy.

A much bigger claim on your insurance will happen if you wind up in hospital in DKA because you've been relying on overheated insulin.

Get to a hospital or doctors, get some fresh insulin, put it in a fridge and if you don't have regular access to a fridge to keep it in get yourself a frio or other proper working cool pack

D

Deleted member 308541

'm on a pump my cool pack broke and only have one vial left which i am hoping is still staying at room temperature as its zipped up in my rucksack. Anyone else been to hot countries and had the same experience?
Most major Australian pharmacy's sell Frio cool packs at a reasonable price.