Hello. Advice please

Tansyrex

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello wondered if anyone can give me some advice. I was diagnosed in Feb and am taking Metformine and Gliclazide. For about a week I’ve had back pain and pain on right side of tummy. Today I had upset tummy. Do you think it might be drug related or a bug please? Feel quite lonely as I know no one else with this. Try to eat low carb stuff in the main. Thank you.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Tansyrex ,

I don't take these drugs. But it is well documented the side effects of metformin can give tummy trouble to some users..

I could (if you wish) move this thread to the type 2 section of the forum, where you will get advice from others with experience of you prescribed medication..?

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello wondered if anyone can give me some advice. I was diagnosed in Feb and am taking Metformine and Gliclazide. For about a week I’ve had back pain and pain on right side of tummy. Today I had upset tummy. Do you think it might be drug related or a bug please? Feel quite lonely as I know no one else with this. Try to eat low carb stuff in the main. Thank you.
Hi, be careful low carbing while taking Gliclazide could give you a Hypo. Test regularly after taking it to make sure your blood glucose isn't going too low.

rosalindp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello wondered if anyone can give me some advice. I was diagnosed in Feb and am taking Metformine and Gliclazide. For about a week I’ve had back pain and pain on right side of tummy. Today I had upset tummy.

Hi
I agree with Ian-Laye re the danger of hypos while on Gliclazide. - What would your blood sugar readings be, if you took only Metformin? (Metformin gives me side effects - but when I took Gliclazide just once it made me feel like I'd been run over by a bus. - Never again.)
Maybe try not taking the next dose of Gliclazide??

~ Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

What I know about metformin is it works by increasing insulin sensitivity & stunting glycogen dump by the liver.
Glicazide on the other hand.stimulates the beta cells in the pancreas increasing insulin output.
Hypoglycemia has been know to be caused by Glicazide.

I'm not a doctor.

But you should consult you HCP if contemplating changing any medication regime!

Tansyrex

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Tansyrex ,

I don't take these drugs. But it is well documented the side effects of metformin can give tummy trouble to some users..

I could (if you wish) move this thread to the type 2 section of the forum, where you will get advice from others with experience of you prescribed medication..?

Yes please