Hello All - Looking for help with my dad!

Ketomum68

Hello All,

My name is Emma and I am here because my Dad has diabetes and a couple of years ago he got over Colon Cancer and he now has a bag. He is 74, usually quite active for his age and quite 'with it' - although he is a stubborn old mule at times! He can't use the computer hence why I am on here. I am a great believer in these types of forums and in talking to the people that are actually 'living' with the condition. He has just started taking Metformin and his bloods are around the 8 mark most days and 'apparently' he is not having any sugar but I know that he is a bit of a carb junkie and he is still have cereals, potatoes, rice etc and I know that a little may be ok, but I still want those figures down a bit.

I can understand some of the difficulties you guys have in reducing those carbs as I run the charity 'Matthew's Friends' which is the Dietary Treatments For Epilepsy site here in the UK as I managed my own sons epilepsy through a ketogenic diet - which was an absolute miracle for him. Needless to say, I have done low-carb meal plans etc for him but I know damned well he is not sticking to them which is very frustrating. So I have come here in the hope that you guys can offer me help and advice - unfortunately he doesn't live with me and my mum does her best but she works.

My concerns are that since he has started taking Metformin he has become quite depressed and very tired. He NEVER wants to go anywhere, do anything and that is just not like him. I have told him to go to the doctors but he is 'afraid of wasting the doctors time' but I think I have talked him around on that one. Just recently he has read an article about testosterone patches helping with the side effects of metformin and helping with the tiredness. I have not seen this article yet, but I wanted to know if anyone else knows anything about this kind of treatment.

Looking forward to getting to know you and thank you in advance. I do love the stubbon old git that is my dad and just want to make sure I know how to help him best - so coming here and talking to you is the best way of doing that in my book.

Take Care.
Emma.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi Emma and welcome to the forum :)

You sound as if you have your hands full with all the family health issues. :roll: This is a great place to come for help and information! :D

Giblet

Hi Emma,

Although we cannot diagnose your dad's problems, it may be that he has developed clinical depression. My father suffered several bouts through his life and they were always associated with constant tiredness and a complete lack of motivation. I would think your best bet is to get him to go see the doc and get him to tell them how he feels, could be meds but may not be. Don't let his stubborness stop him from getting help! let us know how you get on. John.x

pang3e

Hi Emma,
Giblet is right, his doctor will definitely help if he/she knows more about what's really going on for your dad. It might also be that he doesn't want to talk to you or your mum about what is really bothering him, so having someone a bit more removed from family might help.

There are also lots of things that could help, particularly if he used to be quite active before. I suffer from depression and when first diagnosed with diabetes, I went quite low and stopped doing almost everything which was helpful before and felt defiant about having to change my diet. I'm still working on it after 5 yrs but as you said, your dad has been quite active before so it shouldn't take much for him to slowly get back on track. There are usually primary care mental health teams which usually work hand in hand with the GP and they offer guided self help for mild to moderate mental health issues such as depression, they can signpost to other organisations such as organisations which support older people, in England and it may be useful to ask the gp about this for your area.

Good luck

Ang

Ps. sorry about the long reply!! :D