Hello fasting BG high funny readings??

kenl696

Hello and morning
I 'm a recently new Type 2 user (2 weeks) , I am on 2 x 500gr Metformin and life style change (we all are really)
I have a hight blood sugar count at first testing with meter I was 36 on the meter, my nurse told me to cut sugar out of my life and the blood sugar will drop in time as well as other things ( peeing way too much and others)
so I have cut sugar out -- feel low after it to be truefull but hay-ho I want to get better. I went back week later to get meter and strips we tested again and it was 12 -- I was well chuffed she was'nt she said I have a long way to go but its a start - I said ok took my nexus meter home and have carried on with life style change plan.

I have tested 1st thing in the mornings (fasting) as I was told this is the important reading and I have been testing around 9-10 pm in the evenings.

The thing is I have had 3 good fasting readings 11,11.9, 12.6 but the rest of the time they have been around 17-26 in the morning although I have not drunk or have eaten, Take this morning I had a 1/2 mile walk got back tested 17.9 this is before my one and only cup of tea last night I tested 24 -- strange.

I no I'm going in the right direction I have lost 6lbs only on 900 -1100 cals a day trying to keep the carbs between 90-110 a day

thanks for reading and thanks in advance to any replies in advance

Ken

blackcat79

I was like that when bk to docs who give me some pills that worked for a while but then BS went off again n hc1 has gone up so ive bn given yet more pills n again these r working howblobg for who nos haha! U need more meds than what ur on. Metformin
Is a gd safe drug but works on ur liver n only reduces
BS by 1-2% sounds like u need some to help with pancress insilin production. Go bk to gp or DN and tell them ur BS. One thing if BS is say over 17 then exercising can make it rise higher plus u need to test for ketones if its keepa being over 17 its impotant as they can make u very ill n go in to DKA!
Good luck
Sue

Finzi

Ken,

I think maybe you need to return to your GP. I would be a bit concerned at those levels and wonder whether you actually are a type 2, or whether you might be what is known as LADA, or Type 1.5. Those really high figures suggest that you might actually be deficient in insulin production (as opposed to insulin resistant, which most Type 2s are). My feeling is that you should not be getting such extremely high readings on what are fairly restricted carbs. If you are type 1.5 or type 1, then Metformin is not going to help - you would need to be on insulin. I would also keep a food diary of exactly what you are eating, in case you find your doctor is cynical and thinks that you are getting readings in the twenties because you are stuffing yourself with sweets all day.

(It is true that fasting morning readings are often disproportionately high, compared to other times of day, but I have to say none of your readings sound right to me at all)

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (64), average BS now between 5 and 6 mmol.

Finzi

cezzle said:
Agree with Finzi, really think you need to go back to the drs.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

And see a doctor this time, not a nurse. Really, alarm bells should have been ringing at a reading of 36. Read up about LADA before you go. And make sure they check your urine for ketones.

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (64), average BS now between 5 and 6 mmol.

kenl696

Thanks for all the replys you are such stars here :). The nurse is off on hols for 2 weeks now so I will see her on her return, I am laying off the monitor for a couple of days just so I dont feel 2 low when i see high readings - I will just carry on with a virtual no sugar and very low cal diet.

again thanks

Ken

Rivig

I wouldn't wait the 2 weeks for dsn to come back off holiday book in with the doc and explain your diet and especially those high readings and ask that something be done ie Glilazide or whatever, i know 2 weeks isn't long after diagnosis but those readings i take it are mmols? then there very high still. good luck let us know the outcome. :)