1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Arrived here after watching The Truth About Carbs? Join the Low Carb Program for meal plans & 10 weeks of simple steps into your new lifestyle.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hello From A New Member

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Geranium72, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Geranium72

Geranium72 · Member

Hello everyone
    I’ve been lurking around this forum for a while since my husband was diagnosed with type 2 last year. In 3 months he got his blood glucose levels down from in the 70s to 44 and we both lost some weight by adopting low carb eating . We have not been as strict as we should (complacency!) and his last test was around 50. I put weight back on so decided to get back on this properly to lose weight and stop the carb and sugar crashes.
    I had been diagnosed some years ago as prediabetic so decided to get blood tests from Thriva as the time needed for the doctors and their lack of knowledge of the difference between hdl and ldl cholesterol and their love for statins means any tests done there will be less than useful.
    I am 5 days in and feeling better already - 4lbs down but need to lose over 6 stone really ( although that will be a weight I haven’t seen since 18, I’m now 45!)
    My test results from Thriva are back and I was astounded that my HbA1c was 32.45. - I expected it to be higher. LDL is 3.2, HDL is 1.1 and trigs 1.4 so a bit of work to do on LDL and ratios . Also some borderline B and D vitamin results and some borderline liver results - I know I should drink a bit less and lose weight.
    So although I am not diabetic my husband is and I know cutting sugar and processed carbs is the way forward, and this forum has such great advice and recipes!
    Will retest in 3 months time and hope the HbA1c is still good and the cholesterol and liver results improve.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Expert

Well done on being proactive. As you say, some work needed on the old trigs but overall not bad at all.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Guru

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

You seem to be on the right track, and know exactly what to do. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum @Geranium72, good to hear that it has helped you. Keep up the good work - and get your husband back on track! :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. banshee71

banshee71 · Member

hi, i'm in a similar situation, no husband but family history of diabetes and need to lose weight as i don't want to end up following in the family footsteps. I'm a stone and a bit down and have 7 to lose.

This place has great resources and support. I try and keep my total carbs under 30, and it's working slowly for me but i have other health issues and most of my medications are associated with weight management issues, so i'll get there. One not of encouragement is i measure as well as weigh and my measurements have encouraged me more than the scales. So I know things are changing in a good way. Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook