hello i'm new

dietfizzy

hi everyone, i was diagnosed in april with type 1 diabetes. it came as a huge shock to me. i knew something was up, to be honest i thought it was something worse, when i began to lose weight(not that thats a problem) even without trying. i am 38 mum 2 three and never considered being diabetic. no one in my family is type 1 or 2. i have had a range of reactions my close family, husband and children have been beyond supportive some time micro managing me. but with love lol.
other people in my family mother and sisters have been very indifferent to me, barely acknowleging that there is anything wrong. i dont want sympathy but lately i have been wondering because of this am i making too much of this. i have good blood glcose control not dropping much below 4 very often and hardly ever over 7. i am careful with my diet, and have cut out the things completely that will push up my sugars. i have even adapted to the injections, which is something i never thought i could do. how did other members of your family react. i would just like to know. they are making me feel like i am being a drama queen, and in not so many words making me feel as though i have done something to myself. which i know isnt true i was even call a hypocondriact(sorry about the spelling) shortly before being diagnosed because i felt so bad.
i think they should be pleased one that i am ok, i know diabetes is a chronic illness but i determined that i am going to try and carry on with my life and for it to be as normal as possible.
and 2 i have a good attitude towards it. i am very lucky to have supportive husband and kids even my 11 year old is clued up on diabetes now. i would just like to know how anyone else coped when you found out and what were the reactions of family and friends good or bad.
thank you for reading.
and i won't say i am overjoyed to be here but i will be extremely glad for any support i can get.
thanks again xxxxx :D

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi dietfizzy,

I'm glad you've joined the forum and I'm very impressed by your attitude to your type 1. Getting on with it is the only option of course, but it sounds like your immediate family will be really supportive too.
I'm afraid I ignored my diabetes when I was diagnosed at age 18. I spoke to no-one about it and didn't even tell my friends I had it. It's hard to explain why, but I didn't want to be identified with a disease so I simply ignored it. Smart, eh?
No, not very. I think it was the advent of web forums such as this that finally got me talking about it and I think it's a wonderful opportunity for learning, discussion, empowerment and acceptance.

All the best,

fergus

Katharine

You may even get to laugh your family's reaction to your diabetes (in time).

If you google for "D-life" you will find the website of a USA TV programme which is for diabetics.

There are some videos. One guy has done a series of shows and a funny one is "The diabetes police."

There is a whole series of them.

Sometimes showing your family a funny video will get the message across more easily.

http://www.dlife.com/dLife/do/ShowConte ... media/tv/#

I can't find the blasted diabetes police !

chocoholic

Hi dietfizzy and welcome to the forum.
Apart from my hubby, who has been SO supportive, after diagnosis my family sound pretty much like yours have been. Initially, I naively thought that having diabetes just meant having no sugar. :roll: When I first found out about the possible long-term complications, I remember at a family gathering here I sneaked off to the kitchen for a private tear. It was watching my sister playing with her grandchildren that set me off. I suddenly felt so worried that I might lose my sight and or a limb and not be fully able to enjoy my own grandchildren when they arrived. I got a lecture in the kitchen about worrying too much and it "only being diabetes". Nobody seemed to understand my worries.
To this day, it's really only mum and hubby who ask after my welfare. My daughter-in-law said to me one day "It's only diabetes. It's not as though it's anything serious". I could have hit her.
Actually, if I have diabetes concerns now, it is the folk on this forum I turn to, as I know folk on here understand my fears and concerns and who better to confide in than those going through the same thing?
My advice......stick with us on this forum. You'll get help, support and hopefully have a laugh too.
All the best, chocoholic.

hails

I will never forget the day I got diagnosed, the doctor rang me up at work (i was just sat at my desk after getting back from the doctors) and he told me to go to the hospital as it looked like i was a type 1 diabetic. My MD walked around the corner to see me filling up with tears with a couple of collegues and do you know what he said... 'Oh dont worry you probably just had a little too much marmalade on your toast this morning!'. I couldnt believe it! But I look back on it now and laugh my head off, unfortunately there are a lot of people who just wont get it and because it doesnt effect them directly they dont really care to know.
My boss to this day still comes up and say things like, 'you still diabetic'. Next time Im gonna say no my toothfairy took it away when I lost a tooth the other week!!!! An MD of a finance company... thought he was a clever guy!
Parents went into denile a bit but they are great.
I tend to discuss it with those I know will listen and to be honest theres only a very very small handful of people I feel actually take in what Im saying and to those Im thankful!
However, your in luck... all of us know what you are going through and are always here! I literally am always here... i sit at my desk 9-5 with nothing to do!! :D
You will get through this stage I promise you!!!
H x

dietfizzy

thanks everyone for the support. i though it was just me lol, that people said stupid things too. i dont want sympathy and i dont want special treatment, just to be acknowledged really :lol: .
it is scary, but i am healthy still fairly young lol. and i intend to stay that way the way i look at it is we are probably taking better care of our health, than most people eating better and are more aware, but i am not going to spend my time worrying about what could happen, its pointless really. no one knows whats round the corner thank you to everyone who posted or read. i think i will stick around, its just nice to speak to people who understand.
thanks
fizzy xxxxx

mrsb2b

D Life is great have saved it to my favourites and am going to show the rules to mother in law and my mother! :lol: