Hello, I've just joined

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in summer of 1976. I had lost a lot of weight, and my poor mother keep taking me to see our GP, and he kept on saying I had an eating disorder, even sent me to see a psychiatrist! Fortunately he took a holiday, and the next appointment was with another doctor, who instantly made a correct diagnosis.

Anyway, I seem to have survived, and have found myself in the very fortunate position of living in Edinburgh, where everyone using intensive insulin therapy is being offered Freestyle Libre on prescription.

They are doing a really great job of getting people to use it, and it's made such a difference to my ability to control my blood glucose, and I've only being using it for four weeks. Hopefully they will shame other areas into doing the same. It's probably just a matter of time.

I can't believe so many CCGs are refusing to fund it, but as a result of reading about this, and finding out more about Freestyle Libre, I found myself reading discussions on this forum quite a bit, so I decided to join you all.

Not much to say about my diabetes, I just "keep on keeping on", as Curtis Mayfield once said in a rather beautiful song.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Alison54321 . Welcome to the forum.
Where have you been hiding for so long?:)
It's great to have experienced T1's on the forum.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome :)

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Alison54321 . Welcome to the forum.
Where have you been hiding for so long?:)
It's great to have experienced T1's on the forum.

Thank you. I'm not sure really where I've been hiding I think a mistrust doctors (see above) makes me run into hospital appointments, and out again as soon as possible, so I've never really engaged much with things related to diabetes, beyond what was absolutely necessary.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @Alison54321 welcome to the forum. Another long termer here, I beat you by 4 years lol. How times and technology have changed hey?

Reactions: therower

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Alison54321 welcome to the forum. Another long termer here, I beat you by 4 years lol. How times and technology have changed hey?

Four years longer, I'm impressed.

When I think back to how hard it was to check blood sugars when I was first diagnosed I wonder how anyone survived. Thank goodness things have moved on so much.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Four years longer, I'm impressed.

When I think back to how hard it was to check blood sugars when I was first diagnosed I wonder how anyone survived. Thank goodness things have moved on so much.

Welcome Alison and yes I agree with the above.
I've been at it for 44 years and how we survived on 1 injection a day with clinitest tablets to test our urine beggars belief!

Thankfully we did and I'm all the better for new tech and new ideas.

Good luck

Tony