1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hello...looking for a buddy. or Two

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by Genusloci, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Genusloci

Genusloci · Newbie

Hello

My name is mark , I found out 2 weeks ago that I was type 2 , its not much of a surprise my mother is ..but i didnt expect it now as i had a test 2 years ago and was told i was fine . i now know that was a mistake! so for the last two years i have been drinking sugery pop and eating stacks of chocs but i was told to lose a few pounds and i cut out a lot of fatty foods and losing weight... i have in the past two years lost 3 stone ..i was getting on to 18 stone now i am under 14 just !.now i know. what do i do ?

ok drink sugar free now and no choc ! i try to eat healthy so i am building a list of good foods and band foods struggling to get the meds in me without ill effect.

what am i here for?? advice .. and it would be nice to meet a few people at the same stage as me who can be a diabetes buddy ..to sound out things etc.

2. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Hello and welcome Mark :wave:

Well done on changing your lifestyle/eating habits and losing the weight, that's a great big step in the right direction :thumbup:

Hopefully another Type 2 will be along to offer you some advice and help.

Take care RRB :)

3. Andy12345

Andy12345 Type 2 · Expert

Hi, Welcome

Sounds like you have done really well with your weight already im sure folks would like to hear more about the foods that helped you lose weight, this is very personal but i would highly reccomend trying to reduce your carbohydrates, carbs are basically sugar once inside so cutting out bread, rice, pasta and potatoes would be helpful, then research other ways to reducing carbs would benefit, definatly worth reading through some posts on the forum to see what other folks are doing regarding diet exercise etc, we are all your buddies now :) ill be round later to lend a tenner lol,
    the low carbing thing is only my opinion and dosent suit everyone im sure others will offer different routes to take, you shouldnt only listen to me even though im right and theyre all mad :crazy:

best of luck :)

4. Netty70

Netty70 · Well-Known Member

5. jampot

jampot · Member

Hi Mark
    You probably found out you were type 2 on the same day as me - certainly the same week!
    Since then I feel that my life has been turned upside down. I spent days and days researching on the internet and feel I know enough now to at least decide what I'm going to do for the time being. I do learn something else every single day.
    There doesn't seem to be the facility on here to send private messages so all I can say is find out everything you can about type 2 so you'll feel more empowered to make some choices in how you manage your diabetes. You will learn loads from this site - I have.
    Good Luck.

6. Andy12345

Andy12345 Type 2 · Expert

i think you have to post 5 times to use the pm function

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

7. Genusloci

Genusloci · Newbie

Thanks everyone.. Last Thursday I was rushed to hospital with high keytones. So been off line for a couple of days but back on it now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DCUK Forum mobile app

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook