Hello, new(ish) type 2 here, previously gestational

mrs bambi

Hi All,

Thought it was about time to join this forum thing since I am a housewife and apparently spend most of my time on the internet ! the cleaning/cooking/toddler can wait ....

I was diagnosed as type in 2 Sept 2008 after having gestational in 2007 when pregnant with my son. I am pretty sure it never actually went away in between. I am on metformin, rosiglitazone and gliclazide along with thrice weekly gym sessions, walking with the pushchair and what according to the dietician is a good diet. I am only 33 and have a normal BMI. Despite all this I can rarely get a blood sugar in single digits and it is so disheartening to run 7k then still have a crazy reading (e.g. 12.2) having eaten only proper porridge & sweetener for breakfast before that run. Surely I need insulin soon ???? Any suggestions welcome !

mrs b

mrs bambi

Hi there,

Re. the diet, I have a strong suspician it is the carbs now I have done some reading ! I was advised to eat low fat, low sugar with plenty of carbs for energy for my running ! Typical breakfast is porridge & sweetener or granary toast, lunch is soup, salad or sushi with a wholemeal pitta, dinner is pasta, curry, fish, roast type meal and then snacks of fruit, nuts, cheese, low cal drinks .... eek, what a carb fest !

thanks for the blog link, makes interesting reading as does this whole site.

I now plan on monitoring my carb intake against my BS and then attempt to reduce my carbs right down. I have done a post already for help with this and omitted the rice from our chilli con carne for dinner tonight. I am off to the doctor tomorrow for a check up so will see what she thinks ! I guess I do have concerns about feeding a hungry husband and toddler as well as myself but there is plenty of quick cook carbs I can add to their portions !

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites

mrs bambi

thanks for the tip off graham... just off to pack my bags and flee the forum. should they choose to attack they will find me full of carbs though so that'll teach 'em.

Aadrgon

Might be teaching my granny to suck eggs here but if you are going to reduce your carb intake and run 7km make sure you have an easy sugar supply handy just in case otherwise you won't get that much of a head start on the carnivores :)

mrs bambi

Thanks for the reminder ~ I do carry fruit pastilles & glucose tabs but may upgrade them to my pocket rather than locker just in case. I would hate to not be able to escape the crazed carnivores that stalk this forum.

mrs bambi

note to self - run with bagels, chips and french stick to fend off unwanted low carb carnivores

I think I may need to ease into this a bit more slowly than I have ~ am now on day 2 of a migraine like headache and have not been able to set foot on a run !