Hello Pre~diabetic on Slimming World New to Site

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi this is Pre Diet .

Female 52 , Diagnosed Pre-diabetic in January 2017 .

From Hertfordshire

Have Some weight to lose .

Enjoy exercise , go to gym , swim , aquacise , walking dogs.

Go to Slimming World and am wondering wether to leave that as it doesn't easily lend itself to low carb plan. Anyone else here go to SW successfully??

I am seeking to REVERSE the Pre-Diabetic status to NORMAL again , if I possibly can .

My diagnosis was at Hb1ac 42 , am self testing with interesting results .

ON no 'diabetic' medicine and want to keep it that way , told to keep to diet .

Am interested in the topic of 'liver dump' at the moment but need to test more .

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you find the Slimming World group meetings helpful for motivation you could always continue but adapt the diet plans to suit a low carb life style or just "go your own way" with what you eat and keep quiet about it at the meetings. If they aren't motivational for you, then I would discontinue and save my money.

With an HbA1c of 42 you haven't far to go to get a reversal.

Testing is the way forward. What sort of interesting results are you seeing?

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Testing will tell you which foods spike your BG.
Slimming World diet would not work for me but at a level of 42 you may be lucky.
I would still try to cut some of the carbs.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi this is Pre Diet .

From Hertfordshire

Go to Slimming World and am wondering wether to leave that as it doesn't easily lend itself to low carb plan. Anyone else here go to SW successfully??

I am seeking to REVERSE the Pre-Diabetic status to NORMAL again , if I possibly can .

Am interested in the topic of 'liver dump' at the moment but need to test more .

If you feel you would benefit from the SW group by being with others that are loosing weight to that is fine. A lot of people like the face to face meetings and a cup of tea and a chat with others it helps to keep them on track. Just adapt the diet and eat less starchy carbs with your meals. As long as you loose weight...and you will on lower carb... they will be pleased I don't think you are obliged to list everything you have eaten

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you find the Slimming World group meetings helpful for motivation you could always continue but adapt the diet plans to suit a low carb life style or just "go your own way" with what you eat and keep quiet about it at the meetings. If they aren't motivational for you, then I would discontinue and save my money.

With an HbA1c of 42 you haven't far to go to get a reversal.

Testing is the way forward. What sort of interesting results are you seeing?

I've just only last week bought a 12 week 'countdown' for slimming World, will use the meetings for motivation .
I am getting early morning , fasting readings of 6.6 , 7.9 ( after a binge night ) 6.8 , 6.9 , 6.4 .

My original diagnosis being 6.0 ( but I walked to the hospital 25 mins beforehand ) .

Post workout I'm getting 5.4 , but today after Breakfast )2hrs) I got a 7.7 .

Oatmeal in Mullerlight yogurt + a pear . too much carbs? Was 5.7 b4 lunch though .

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you feel you would benefit from the SW group by being with others that are loosing weight to that is fine. A lot of people like the face to face meetings and a cup of tea and a chat with others it helps to keep them on track. Just adapt the diet and eat less starchy carbs with your meals. As long as you loose weight...and you will on lower carb... they will be pleased I don't think you are obliged to list everything you have eaten

I think I'll stay with SW and follow my own Low Carb Plan , maybe not always stay to group . Thanks for your reply ~~ Pre Diet .

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Testing will tell you which foods spike your BG.
Slimming World diet would not work for me but at a level of 42 you may be lucky.
I would still try to cut some of the carbs.

Thanks Daisy for your reply ~ will keep testing , there is a Plan in SW that is Low carb , will try that . It's in my family the T2 so maybe I won't be so lucky , not dooming myself tho . All the Best ~~ Pre~ Diet

Reactions: daisyduck

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Everyone gets liver dumps diabetic or not, it's how the body keeps you from going too low and passing out. The problem for diabetics it can get confused and dump more glucose when not needed due to low levels of insulin that make it think you need more glucose, so you end up with an unexpected peak.

For pre-diabetic the main issue is insulin resistance, and the way to overcome that is by losing weight and intense exercise like running, cycling, gym workouts, etc to burn fat, also, it's said that keeping blood glucose in range will help restore beta cell function in time, depending how long and how high it's been.

Oh that's good news , I'll have to keep up the Gym Workouts and swimming Etc. Which I do already . But diet falls by the wayside at weekends usually . I was 5.1 last year , this January I was a 6 , so with the information you've given , I hope to be able to reverse it .. Thankyou very much for your knowledgeable reply ~ Will move forward from this positively ~ Pre-Diet .

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just only last week bought a 12 week 'countdown' for slimming World, will use the meetings for motivation .
I am getting early morning , fasting readings of 6.6 , 7.9 ( after a binge night ) 6.8 , 6.9 , 6.4 .

My original diagnosis being 6.0 ( but I walked to the hospital 25 mins beforehand ) .

Post workout I'm getting 5.4 , but today after Breakfast )2hrs) I got a 7.7 .

Oatmeal in Mullerlight yogurt + a pear . too much carbs? Was 5.7 b4 lunch though .

I wouldn't worry too much about morning fasting levels. I take no notice whatsoever of mine and am about to stop testing it completely. There are too many variables to take account of that we have little control over. I find the best guide to how you are doing in general is the test immediately before evening meal. This should be the lowest reading of the day assuming you haven't had a snack in the afternoon. Our insulin resistance improves as the day progresses, and there are less external factors to take account of.

I certainly couldn't have eaten your breakfast. I can't eat any carbs at all for breakfast so stick to eggs only, or just a coffee with double cream.

The Mullerlight isn't a wise choice. Have a look at the ingredients and the nutrition label. Try a full fat plain yogurt. (less carbs and less sugar, less processing) Also the pear may not be helping. We have to be very careful with fruit. They contain a lot of fructose, which is natural sugar. The best fruits are berries, especially raspberries or 1 or 2 strawberries. You can chop up the strawberries and add them to the FF yogurt. Oatmeal is one of those foods some people can eat and some can't. Only testing will tell you if it is OK for you.

Reactions: PreDiet

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't worry too much about morning fasting levels. I take no notice whatsoever of mine and am about to stop testing it completely. There are too many variables to take account of that we have little control over. I find the best guide to how you are doing in general is the test immediately before evening meal. This should be the lowest reading of the day assuming you haven't had a snack in the afternoon. Our insulin resistance improves as the day progresses, and there are less external factors to take account of.

I certainly couldn't have eaten your breakfast. I can't eat any carbs at all for breakfast so stick to eggs only, or just a coffee with double cream.

The Mullerlight isn't a wise choice. Have a look at the ingredients and the nutrition label. Try a full fat plain yogurt. (less carbs and less sugar, less processing) Also the pear may not be helping. We have to be very careful with fruit. They contain a lot of fructose, which is natural sugar. The best fruits are berries, especially raspberries or 1 or 2 strawberries. You can chop up the strawberries and add them to the FF yogurt. Oatmeal is one of those foods some people can eat and some can't. Only testing will tell you if it is OK for you.

Thanks Bluetit

I'll try different combo's , eggs will be fine , Coffee with Dbl cream sounds lovely but I'm trying to lose weight ( will still try it tho) . I'll need to find some good snacks too. Much obliged Pre-Diet :woot:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Bluetit

I'll try different combo's , eggs will be fine , Coffee with Dbl cream sounds lovely but I'm trying to lose weight ( will still try it tho) . I'll need to find some good snacks too. Much obliged Pre-Diet :woot:

Slimming World, Weight Watchers, and the NHS try to tell us that dietary fat makes us fat. It only helps to make us fat if we combine it with high carb. It doesn't make us fat on its own. They all tell us low fat is good for us. It will take a while for you to get your head round the more recent science that low fat processed products are not good for us. It is a fine balancing act - the less carbs we eat, the more fat we can eat (and indeed, should eat as we need to replace the energy lost through reducing carbs)

Cream, butter, full fat yogurts, real mayonnaise, cheese and other good fats are on the menu providing high carbs are off the menu.

Have a look at this thread

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/a-new-low-carb-guide-for-beginners.68695/

and this blog

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Slimming World, Weight Watchers, and the NHS try to tell us that dietary fat makes us fat. It only helps to make us fat if we combine it with high carb. It doesn't make us fat on its own. They all tell us low fat is good for us. It will take a while for you to get your head round the more recent science that low fat processed products are not good for us. It is a fine balancing act - the less carbs we eat, the more fat we can eat (and indeed, should eat as we need to replace the energy lost through reducing carbs)

Cream, butter, full fat yogurts, real mayonnaise, cheese and other good fats are on the menu providing high carbs are off the menu.

Have a look at this thread

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/a-new-low-carb-guide-for-beginners.68695/

and this blog

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds

Thankyou Bluetit , very informative , really needed more guidance. Will start today , looks like a tasty alternative . Pre-Diet

Reactions: Bluetit1802

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi this is Pre Diet .

From Hertfordshire

I just went low calorie.
I didn't swop sugar for fats, as both put weight on for me.
And 7.7 after that breakfast is fine.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Reactions: PreDiet

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A YEAR later and my Hba1C is NORMAL !!! :woot: at 39 and it says on the Form~ ' NORMAL , No action to be taken / needed'
But we all know that this condition is a constant fluctuating thing , I KNOW that I MUST still KEEP on a 'plan' of sorts and still keep away from sugar and fructose (YES @ 'Bluetit' I had big result after 2 Mullerlights which is so called 'FREE' on SW) .

I go to SW still for the friendship and the weigh~in , I'm still testing myself and watching what I eat .

Thanks to everyone that has helped and will still help I hope ~ Much Love Pre-Diet

Reactions: ixi1429

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @PreDiet that is brilliant news.

Continuing going to SW is good. The weigh in and the friends you have made there can help you maintain your motivation, even if you ignore their diet plans. You have a great attitude to this and are definitely on the right track. Good luck. :)