Hello

RJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I am 38 and will have been type 1 for three years at the end of this month....and yet I still feel that it is all guess work. I have only just discovered this site and on the one hand found it really helpful and on the other, it scared me as it proved how little I actually seem to know.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya and welcome,
its nearlly 2 yrs since i found this site, id already learnt myself what i could through books,
this place has been invaluable and i fully understand where you are coming from,
im 37 and have been type 1 for nearlly 6yrs,
have a good look around and ask as many questions as u need, it soon wont be scary..
in the meantime what insulins do u take?
look forward to hearing from you :D

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi RJB and welcome,

We are all unique and diabetes affects us all in very different ways. :? The comforting thing is that although no-one can know everything there are lots of people on here who are willing to help with anything you need/want to know.

This forum is a great asset to those of us who want to learn more and gain control of our condition and a great place to share. We look forward to hearing how you are getting on. :)

RJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the warm and friendly welcome.

I have been on Novorapid and Levemir for 18 months. I haven't seen a dietician since being on this regime and despite requesting a DAFNE course, my nurse seems reluctant to send me. I know nothing of carb counting or carb/insulin ratio's and am now experiencing more frequent hypos.
I don't know anyone else who is diabetic and despite having fab family and friends who sympathise, I am desperate to chat to people who know what it is like and from whom I can learn and share information.

I also love going to the gym and go three or four times a week, and tend to have between 100 and 200mls of Lucozade sport before I start. I would love to know what other people do or what they could recommend.

Thanks again for the welcome x

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i cant help with the gym, but taught myself from books and on ere how to carb count and havent looked back,
i take lantus and novorapid and have been on it about a 14mnths,
if i can help let me know :D

RJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just ordered Collins' Carb Counter and bought a new set of scales today!!!

Thanks everyone, I have learnt more from you in the last few days than I have in the last 3 years!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
If you are that way inclined( towards carb control I mean) try "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution".
The doctor has been T1 diabetic since he was 12 and is still practising medicine in an exclusively diabetic practice in his mid 70s. and he'a complication free.
What he's found works for him, he has passed to his patients.
His way isn't for everyone, because it is quite restrictive. Still it's worth a read. I'm a T2 and don't use insulin, but I've found many of his principles very helpful.
If you can handle encyclopaedic volumes of information, look up Daid Mendosa's website, which is giganic too. you'll need to convert BG units, because it's American. The conversion factor is 18. To get our units, divide American numbers by it.
Hana

RJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much for the tips. I have just been on the e-learning course and found it really useful. I already feel so much more in control.

Thanks.

Ruthx