Hello

Bubbles328

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi everyone
My son has never been 100% healthy and he over the last year has started vomiting on a daily basis. Went to the docs they recommended blood tests! So I thought it was lactose or coeliac disease got the call last week he needed his bloods doing again he showed very high blood sugar levels so needed to be tested again ASAP as could be type 1!!
I don’t know what to say I know whatever life throws at us we’ll cope but I know nothing about type 1.
I’m a single mum with a 10YO daughter and my son is 8. I work over full time hours as a teacher and have a part time voluntary job.
If he is type 1 how much will this impact our lives? Would it not have shown up by now if he was? He doesn’t drink lots Infact he barely drinks at all only thing I think matches with diabetes is he can’t cope and is unmanageable when he’s hungry.
Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated
Thankyou ☺️

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

I'm sorry to read this. It must be so worrying for you.

I am Type 2 so can't answer your questions, but some T1s will be along shortly.

Reactions: Bubbles328

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Bubbles328 ,

Welcome to the forum.

I was diagnosed at the age of 8.
I can't diagnose your son to be fair. My diabetes hit me quite fast with the usual symptoms...

When is your son's next appointment?

Bubbles328

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi
Thanks for your help @Bluetit1802
@Jaylee theres no apps schedualed as of yet I have just taken him for his bloods this evening so I’m guessing it’s a waiting game now then. It was Friday when the first set were done and they contacted the following Monday but due to the receptionist at the doctors not changing the telephone number I got the message a week late by post so I’m hoping wed or thurs we will know for sure
I’ve been doing a bit of reading and it makes a little sense when he’s hungry he just can’t cope I thought hypoglycaemia was falling unconscious not just being wrestless and teary which is how he gets. I constantly carry food for him because of his behaviour when hungry
Thanks

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Thanks for your help @Bluetit1802
@Jaylee theres no apps schedualed as of yet I have just taken him for his bloods this evening so I’m guessing it’s a waiting game now then. It was Friday when the first set were done and they contacted the following Monday but due to the receptionist at the doctors not changing the telephone number I got the message a week late by post so I’m hoping wed or thurs we will know for sure
I’ve been doing a bit of reading and it makes a little sense when he’s hungry he just can’t cope I thought hypoglycaemia was falling unconscious not just being wrestless and teary which is how he gets. I constantly carry food for him because of his behaviour when hungry
Thanks

@Bubbles328 ,
Rest assured.
Your son wouldn't get "hypoglycemia" (low blood sugar.) with untreated T1 diabetes.. Basically It's a symptom of the meds used.

Your son's blood sugar level, if he is diabetic & unmedicated will only get high.. Which would result in this.. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabetic-ketoacidosis/

Bubbles328

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Ah Thankyou @Jaylee see I have no idea at all! Hes sick allot hence the original tests but it’s usually and hour or 2 after dinner so that doesn’t tie in with it. Unless I’ve read this wrong sorry if I’m frustrating you with my lack of knowledge on the subject and have this wrong again just reading everything while waiting for results

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi @Bubbles328 I was Type 1 for 54 years until a pancreas transplant in 2013. Certainly sustained high blood sugar made me vomit or gave me severe diarrhoea during those years. Like others I am surprised by the lack of thirst. Is your son weeing a lot in spite of not drinking much? This is the kidneys' method of getting rid of excess sugar, but in uncontrolled diabetes they can't void enough without the required insulin level. When I was first diagnosed, admittedly at the age of eleven months, it came on very suddenly. It is worth remembering that when your blood sugar is low (hypoglycemia) your brain is starved of energy and therefore cognitive function is minimal, although hearing lasts longest and well-intentioned actions may cause a defence mechanism of some sort. High blood sugar (hyperglycemia) can cause mood swings and irritability, and if unchecked, I used to find that I would shun social contact, even with my nearest and dearest. It can also cause Ketoacidosis which can cause extreme tiredness, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea. If no action is taken a coma follows. Been there etc. As others have said, more details will make it easier to help, but you won't find a better place for help. Medics are great, but never have enough time to go into all the details in one session. Although your son will obviously be shocked, if he is Type 1, many children manage well, even independently. Time will tell. The best of luck to all of you.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah Thankyou @Jaylee see I have no idea at all! Hes sick allot hence the original tests but it’s usually and hour or 2 after dinner so that doesn’t tie in with it. Unless I’ve read this wrong sorry if I’m frustrating you with my lack of knowledge on the subject and have this wrong again just reading everything while waiting for results

I quite understand, Bubbles.

But proffessional consultation must be sought first. We can gladly clue you up with our experience should diabetes be the case for your son.

You realy need to follow this up fast with the HCPs..