Hello

suzywakeup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been reading and lurking for the past two weeks since I was diagnosed with T2. Well I say recently, apparently my GP knew I was T2 over two years ago and omitted to tell me, November 2016 my A1c was 70, and left untreated and indeed unrecognized it rose to 119 in mid March. I am pretty angry about that, but that's another story.
Miraculously, I have manged to get my blood sugar down to mostly single figures, low carbs, 500 mg metformin and 80mg Gliclizide and a teaspoon of cinnamon and chromium supplements ... I am fighting this from every angle. However, I have a problem in that I don't want to eat anything as I'm worried my sugar will spike. I am a vegetarian and hardly eat any processed food. I eat rye bread and before now wholemeal everything. For dinner last night, I had lentil and cashew nut loaf (left over from Sunday) a few sweet potato wedges and some salad (bean sprouts, tomatoes, mushrooms beetroots etc) and this made my sugar spike from 5.2 (pre dinner) to 10.2 two afters after dinner. It was still this three hours later and again four hours later. My fasting blood was 8.2. I even went swimming for thirty minutes yesterday. I am feeling so ****** off with this diabetes. I might as well have eaten some cake for pudding, or failing that some fruit at least.
So what I'm asking is ... is this normal? Will it get easier? And will I ever eat again?

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my GP knew I was T2 over two years ago and omitted to tell me,

What ??

Find yourself a good solicitor.

Will it get easier? will I ever eat again?

Yes to both.

You are clearly testing, so you will be able to see what different foods do to your BG and make adjustments.

It takes time, but once you get on top of this you can make quick progress.

There is a sub-forum somewhere on here that focuses on Vegetabletarianism and might be a good place to start looking for ideas and support helping make food choices.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/vegetarian-diet-forum.71/

You are on Gliclizide so you need to be wary of going too low carb, and keep testing.

M

Member496333

That is amazing. Agree with the solicitor sentiment. There must be a case of malpractice to be heard here? HbA1c of 70 and the patient wasn’t informed?! Not that it will help you now, but I think someone needs to lose their job for such a dangerous, life threatening mishap.

There are a few vegetarians on these boards so hopefully they’ll be along to help. Oh and welcome!

Reactions: Flora123

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's the second time this week that I have read about someone not being told by their GP.
I am furious on your behalf.
Your diet does appear to be quite high carb though and I can see plenty of areas that you could look at if you wished to reduce that, and I suspect that would be a good thing.
Have you visited Diet Doctor? they have some very handy visual guides, amongst lots of good stuff. Rye, cashew and sweet potato are not good, even lentils are fairly high carb.
It is absolutely possible to be a low carb veggie but not all veggies are created equal and rye is just as bad as white flour with regard to blood sugar.
Best of luck and welcome to the forum. All you need is here (and on Diet Doctor etc:))

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Totally agree with the above but would just add that if you chose vegetarian eating because you thought it healthier you may want to rethink that in light of your diagnosis as low carb and vegetarian can be more challenging than meat eating. But obviously if you want to maintain the no meat it can definitely be done it’s just that many vegetarian options are carb heavy. Sweet potatoes spike many higher than normal ones do. Try sites like dietdoctor.com for meal ideas or search low carb xxxx or keto xxxx where xxxx is the meal you want to tweak.

Also as your readings drop make sure you go back the the doctor and ask for dose to be adjusted so you don’t hypo. The drugs should match your needs in terms of carbs not the other way round where they want you to add carbs to match your drugs.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been reading and lurking for the past two weeks since I was diagnosed with T2. Well I say recently, apparently my GP knew I was T2 over two years ago and omitted to tell me, November 2016 my A1c was 70, and left untreated and indeed unrecognized it rose to 119 in mid March. I am pretty angry about that, but that's another story.
Miraculously, I have manged to get my blood sugar down to mostly single figures, low carbs, 500 mg metformin and 80mg Gliclizide and a teaspoon of cinnamon and chromium supplements ... I am fighting this from every angle. However, I have a problem in that I don't want to eat anything as I'm worried my sugar will spike. I am a vegetarian and hardly eat any processed food. I eat rye bread and before now wholemeal everything. For dinner last night, I had lentil and cashew nut loaf (left over from Sunday) a few sweet potato wedges and some salad (bean sprouts, tomatoes, mushrooms beetroots etc) and this made my sugar spike from 5.2 (pre dinner) to 10.2 two afters after dinner. It was still this three hours later and again four hours later. My fasting blood was 8.2. I even went swimming for thirty minutes yesterday. I am feeling so ****** off with this diabetes. I might as well have eaten some cake for pudding, or failing that some fruit at least.
So what I'm asking is ... is this normal? Will it get easier? And will I ever eat again?

Speechless re you D nurse!! Truly awful

suzywakeup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello again. Thankyou for all your kind and helpful replies and your warm welcome.. I did reply before, but my app wouldn't let me post and deleted my message. Just another thing not behaving as it should!
I've opted for the low GL diet, which is working for me, but I'm not really eating much. My new treat is cubed Comte and olives mid afternoon, rather than tea and buns. And I gradually accepting that this is the way it will be.
With regard to medical negligence, do you think I have a case? I am so angry that I spent at least two years eating a fairly high carb, well at least sugar heavy, diet without knowing my body was saturated with the stuff. I am moving GP.
My sugar levels are beginning to level out a bit, most afternoons I can get it down between 5 and 6 and post prandial under 9 (but quite often nearer 6 too). So I am learning what I can and cannot eat. But these numbers are with medication and not just my eating habits alone But just wanted to thank you all for your welcome, I'm sure I'll be spending lots more time here