Hello

Joco1971

Would like the chance to introduce myself and say hello . My name is John im 50 and from Scotland. After recently finding out I'm diabetic I thought it right to sign up so I can find out more information. My blood results came back on friday . Going to speak to the nurse on Monday to set a battle plan up . In between getting the blood results and Monday I bought a home testing kit just so I know , that came back with a reading an hour ago of 14.2mmol/L . Thinking about what I've read about symptoms of diabetes its fair to say I've had it for a while . Moving forward any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks John

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello @Joco1971, welcome :)
I'm assuming you are type 2? I'm type 1 so can't offer any advice, I'm sure some type 2 people will be along shortly to share their wisdom.

Reactions: Joco1971

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome @Joco1971

There is a bit to learn but you have come to the right place to learn and receive advice and support.

You have already taken a couple of very important first steps- finding this site and getting a meter to test at home.

The meter is invaluable. It is the tool that will tell you how different food affect your blood sugar levels. I recommend the links suggested by @catinahat

My suggestion is to cut your carb intake and see the affect that has on your blood sugar levels.

Good luck and welcome.

Reactions: Joco1971

scot russell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi John.

Welcome.

I’m type 2. Diagnosed last August after a heart attack, with no symptoms and also from Scotland.

You have come to the right place. I’m not sure what your local health care service is like, but if its like mine you will get much more help and support from the fantastic online family here. I was put on Metformin from the start. Unfortunately, it did not agree with me, even the slow release. I went down the carb counting road. It’s not easy at the start but you get into it. I spend more time looking at the back of packets than anything. Different carbs have different effects on different people. I can’t do pasta at all. By using your meter, you will find out what you can tolerate best and alter your diet accordingly. Good luck, it’s a marathon not a sprint. Once you find you’re pace you will get there in the end.

Reactions: Outlier