Hello

Defren

Cathy1974 said:
Fingers crossed you get good results back that give you some answers.
At dx, my GP suggested she might try me on Byetta...good for weightloss :) But since I have been recording consistantly high readings, she seems to have changed her mind and is now saying straight to insulin. I am of course, expecting this to change...they never seem to stick to the one thing they say!

I am sick of the constant tiredness, and the nauseous feeling I get when I am very high. The frequent loo trips in the night is beginning to get me down too!
I am lucky in that my GP seems to be very on the ball, and isn't prepared to let thing stay as they are, so hopefully....will soon be on the right track.

Good luck for your results xx

Hi Cathy, seeing what you are eating, and your readings, it does look like you could well be LADA. You need to be checked out as soon as possible and have a GAD test. Do you have ketostix? They're not in everyone's bathroom cabinet, but if you have them you could check for ketones. If you have a high BG reading and ketones, you need to go to A&E immediately. I don't want to worry or panic you, but you do need to be aware of ketoacidosis, It's not a problem for T2 but is a major problem for T1 and T1.5.

I hope above hope that you get the tests done so you know for sure what you're dealing with, then you will be able to help yourself so much better.

Cathy1974

Type of diabetes
LADA
Defren said:
Hi Cathy, seeing what you are eating, and your readings, it does look like you could well be LADA. You need to be checked out as soon as possible and have a GAD test. Do you have ketostix? They're not in everyone's bathroom cabinet, but if you have them you could check for ketones. If you have a high BG reading and ketones, you need to go to A&E immediately. I don't want to worry or panic you, but you do need to be aware of ketoacidosis, It's not a problem for T2 but is a major problem for T1 and T1.5.

I hope above hope that you get the tests done so you know for sure what you're dealing with, then you will be able to help yourself so much better.

Hi :) I am awaiting the GAD test results...feel in limbo waiting on them!
I don't have any ketostix...at what point do ketones occur?

Defren

Cathy1974 said:
Defren said:

Hi :) I am awaiting the GAD test results...feel in limbo waiting on them!
I don't have any ketostix...at what point do ketones occur?

Ketones occur if you are eating a low carb diet. They are not harmful unless accompanied by high blood glucose. Here is a helpful link: http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Diabeti ... idosis.htm

Being a T2 I don't worry about them, I have a high level of ketones in my urine all the time, but have low BG due to ultra low carbs in my diet. I can't remember the correct BG where it is dangerous, but it's +18 I think. I hope someone with a better knowledge will post. I would advise, if you're worried, you call NHS direct, and see what they say. It's a dangerous mix high BG and ketones.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Cathy on the links I gave you you will see some symptoms of ketoacidosis, vomiting and nausea for instance. If you start to feel unwell with any of those symptoms you must ring NHS Direct. It can be very dangerous. You can buy ketostixs at any pharmacy for about a fiver for 50 odd.

You just wee on them and then compare them to a chart. Mine you have to wait exactly 15 seconds or something similar before comparing them.

HTH.

Ali

Defren

Ali H said:
Cathy on the links I gave you you will see some symptoms of ketoacidosis, vomiting and nausea for instance. If you start to feel unwell with any of those symptoms you must ring NHS Direct. It can be very dangerous. You can buy ketostixs at any pharmacy for about a fiver for 50 odd.

You just wee on them and then compare them to a chart. Mine you have to wait exactly 15 seconds or something similar before comparing them.

HTH.

Ali

+1 I got mine from Asda pharmacy, the only place in town that sold them :***:

Cathy1974

Type of diabetes
LADA
Well, I got some answers today!!

The GP tells me I am slow onset type 1. And today, I have been started on Novomix 30.

My head is all over the place at the moment...I am pleased I finally know what is going on, but it has come as a shock that I am having to inject. I did my first one this evening, and if I am honest, it was a piece of cake :) Didnt' feel a thing! Hopefully all the injections will be like that!

Feel like I am in my own little bubble right now!

Cathy1974

Type of diabetes
LADA
Its' been approx 6 weeks. The medication had absolutely no effect on my levels, and I have been gradually going higher despite interventions.
Due to the lack of response (no response whatsoever) my GP has done a GAD test, and has now told me I am LADA.