Hello

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just joined this forum, would like to say i have been diabetic 20 years, was put onto insulin last year, and have learnt more about diabetes in last couple of week reading on this forum than i have ever know in the last 20 years, so unfortunately I feel like a newby, completely unaware of how dangerous diabetes can be if not monitored or looked after properly still not sure what hba1c means or stands for, but hopefully will learn from all of you, my Consultant keeps wanting to give me Gastric Band but i have repeatedly said no, so have enrolled in boot camp exercises 3 x a week for the last six months and started low carbs have lost 1 stone 8 pounds but what a minefield must admit finding low carbs bit of problem living on chicken and veg or turkey mince and veg and fruit .any advice or help most gratefully received,

Reactions: 2 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi bootcampbeginner and welcome to the forum:) You seem to be doing very well so far and other members will be along soon to tell you what they do to keep good levels. Ask lots of questions and you will get lots of replies!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, daisy1, took me a whle to find out how to read your message lol not really computer savvy.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Question i am trying to do low carb eating but cant stomach full fat products quite literally as have had gall baldder removed so anything too fatty goes straight through me is this still beneficial to do low carbs as not doing high fat.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
It's the carbs that are more important the only potential problem you may face down the line is low carb low fat may not give you enough calories. Nuts are a relatively low carb high calorie source and quite a few people have upped them rather than fat when they've needed ti stop losing weight. As an insulin user you can theoretically cover the carbs you eat but many insulin users still try to reduce theur carbs so that they can reduce their insulin which helps them avoid weight gain.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Hi and welcome:)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the feed back xyzzy, unfortunately i have a lot of weight to lose but cant wait for the day when i can eat the nuts to stop me losing the weight..

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
lots of folks eat lower carbs and not throw in the fat ( i throw in the fat) but reducing the carbs is a great idea, but you wont be able to reduce them to a very low level and still have fuel to live on, but a big reduction is still a great idea, are you testing your blood? are you keeping a food diary? what is a typical daily carb intake for you? maybe post a typical days food and we can see what your up to :)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast 1 egg omlette cooked in the microwave dash skimmed mik no fat or berries and low fat yoghurt

mid morning piece of fruit banana or raspberries/blueberries fat free yoghurt

lunch chicken or turkey mince and vegetables in gravy or salad with chicken or cornedbeef xtra light mayo or fat free vinigrette or cup of soup
mid afternoon anothe piece of fruit
tea anything from the lunch time meals usually something different from whatever i had at lunch or sometimes sausges grilled with baked beans
i do like fruit

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
sounds like a reasonably healthy diet but fruit can be very high in sugar, berries are best, bananas are very high, bked beans are very high in sugar, you may want to check the sugar (or carbohydrate) in the soup, carbs are hidden in lots of things you wouldnt expect, please say so if you know all this and im teaching my granny to suck eggs

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
LCHF dosent mean you neccersarilly need to eat huge amounts of fat, im eating high fat but much less fat than i was before diagnosis so you may find it dosent mean what it sounds like, when i say high fat i mean i eat, full fat yogurt not low fat, lots of eggs, meat, double cream and nuts/flax but compared to my 15 takeaways a weeks its definately lower fat, im only saying it because its such an awesome way to lose weight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your comments hadnt thought of it like that although i dont have the take aways like i used to, chinese now is chicken and beanshoots but i take on board what you say thank you