1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hello

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by KeithD, Aug 15, 2014.

1. KeithD

KeithD Type 1 · Member

Hello

Just a quick introduction,

Im 38 married with a 5 year old son, I have Type 1 that was diagnosed when i was 7 years old,
    Don't think it has ever been really badly controlled but never really been great once i got to the age it became all my responsibility (and at the time better things to do than worry about this) rather than my parents putting a lot of time and effort into it.
    Have had a large amount of laser work across both eyes and vitrectomy on one, although I have been lucky with the laser work, it has all been around the outside rather than centre.

Starting reading the forum and web site in the last few days as i'm now a few weeks into some big changes,
    Massive diet overhaul which has resulted in me lowering my insulin dose a long way, weight is starting to drop at a steady rate, and already feeling a little more healthy.
    Plan to get test results in a better more stable range, shed a couple stone, become and feel healthier,

Lots of great stuff on the site so I expect to be spending plenty of time around.

And i really want a FreeStyle Libre flash glucose monitoring system when it gets released.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Andy12345

Andy12345 Type 2 · Expert

3. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Hi Keith and welcome to the forum :)

Sadly diabetic retinopathy is the big kick up the backside that gets most people to take their diabetes more serious, I've been there myself.

It looks like your doing all the right things and I hope your good progress continues, just be mindful though that you shouldn't tighten your bg control up too quick when you have diabetic retinopathy as this can make the condition worse, maybe best to have a chat with your Ophthalmologist or Diabetes Consultant first and they will advise you further.

Good luck!!!!

4. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

5. Heathenlass

Heathenlass Type 1 · Well-Known Member

6. KeithD

KeithD Type 1 · Member

Hi Noblehead

I haven't had any treatment on my eyes for about 3 years now, i started taking better control a couple years before that when it first started, you are right it did give me the kick i needed,
    Now im not making massive changes to my BG levels, slightly lower, but i have made massive changes to my diet, less carbs and better carbs, , this has led to bringing my BG down that last step to where i want it but also reduced my insulin requirements to keep it there, and started to shift some excess lbs

• Like Like x 2
  7. daisy1

daisy1 Type 2 · Legend
    Retired Moderator

Welcome to the forum Keith :)

8. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

That's great news Keith on all fronts :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook