helo just found you lot

grandmacarol

hello i am new to this site. i have been diabetic for 36 years and not to bad. But now my bloods are all over the place. I have just done a Dafne and dont know why my bloods are up like they are 17.6 15.9 and then down 3,1 droped my lantus from 20 down to 15 but doctor now says put it back up to 20 as my controal was better before I went to the Dafne. they say one thing and diacetic doctor says another, just getting a bit down at the min. so would like a chat whit people that know thanks. :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's unusual to find someone that has worse control after attending a DAFNE course than they did before. :? Can I ask you if your ratio's are correct?, provided you get this right first you can then begin to adjust your lantus dose accordingly but only after doing a basal fasting test to determine how many units you need to maintain optimal bg.

Try contacting the DAFNE course nurse and discuss your control, take along your diary detailing all bg readings, CP's consumed and units of insulin injected at each meal, and hopefully they will give you some guidance on where you are going wrong.

Nigel

grandmacarol

thank you Nigel I think I am doing my ratios correct. The educator on DAFNE told me to brop BIfrom 20 to 14 and have a ratio of 2-1 . Ihave never done a basal fasting test. But my blood test have been that high and Iam doing that many corections and dont seem to get bloods back don. I will not see the DAFNE nurse untill 3.11.10 but I have to go back and see the Doctor on thursday she said that I have to put the BI back up to 20 by the time I go back as Iam not having enough of that and she diddent know why the DAFNE nurse told me to drop it that much when my controles were ok before Iwent there. But DAFNE nurse said that I had been having night hypo and thats why my bloods were high in the mornings that was the only on that I have never been able to get right in 36 years. Dont feel to good at the moment so hope you can ynderstand what I meen THANK YOU :cry:

petee

Hello grandmacarol

I recently went to see the docs (new one) at the hospital, as I was having hypo's through the night and low's in the morning. He was surprised to hear I was on such a high dose of basal, told me to half it and do a basal fasting test, which is: (sorry if you already know this but I didn't know what it was until 2 weeks ago)

Take your basal injection as normal, but then miss a meal during the day and regularly check your bm's. If they go up, your not having enough basal, if they go down your having too much. They should stay the same. Only do this if you're bm isn't already low and you're not doing anything too strenouos.

Hope that helps, (if you already know how to do this, I am sorry but it helped me understand it a bit better aswell)

grandmacarol

thank you for your abvice I have put my basal up agen last night from 18 to 19, bloods at bed time were 13.3 and at 3.00 14.0 at 7.30 11.6 Iwill see what tis like to day and try what you said at lunch time thank you :(

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya carol and a really warm welcome :D

grandmacarol

thanks Tostsy for your welcome. Ihave not been to bad today BGs 14.0 at 3.00 and 11.6 at 7.30 think Ill have to put ratio at lunch time down as it was 3.5 at 11.00 and had to have a deztro tablet then at lunch time it was 5.00 Ihad 3cp and 8QA for the 2.5 -1 ratio and noe at 3.00 my BGs 4.9 so Ill keep a eye on it today and see what happens depending on what the BGs are at dinner time Ill not have anything to eat to see if it stayes the same Ill let you all know thank you

grandmacarol

Hi well thank you for your advice about doing a fasting test, I did one yesterday at dinner time and my bloods stayed the same fron 4.30 untill I went to bed. they were 5.8 5.3 5.9 5.2 5..2 5.3 5.2 then at 9.30 I had some branflakes and QA to go with it. BGs at 3.00 were 4.4 and at 8.00 this morning 3.2 a bit low so I will see what happens today. Think I might have to drop my BI insulin back to 18 but I will see today. Agen thank you I do feel a bit better than I did. Bloods were fine all dat yesterday all like the ones in the evening all day thy were in the 5.5 and 5,4 Thank you.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya carol,
that is brilliant :D

grandmacarol

Thank you totsy, Bgs at 10.00 were 10.2 got a bit bothered but just left it and at 12.00 BGs were 7.3 so was a bit better about that think I am getting a bit paranoyerd about it now but I do have one day that I am ok and the next right up agen hope by the time I go back to the Doctors on Thursday that they have stoped down. Doctor said that I might have to drop my ratio I have the morning one but left the lunch time one at 2.5-1 . But at least I am feeling abit better, it is good to have some feedback from you I did feel that I was on my own and dident know what to do so thank you very much :)

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
you are very welome, when i became a type 1 i didnt know any other diabetics at all, i still dont in the flesh , only online :)

grandmacarol

well my husband is also type 1 and has been since just before we got married so I have had him to deal with as well as myself. things have been a bit hit and miss for years with us both no help from doc. just bloods taken and come back in 6mounths so Iam glad that I have found this site and another on to chat to others thanks :)

grandmacarol

well just a up date as from yesterdat bloods had droped at 5.00 down to 2.8 but after having dinner with 3CPs and 8QA as ratio was 2.5-1 I did bloods every hour till bed and thy were 5.4 5.7 6.2 6.4 so at 9.30 hat 2 oak cakes and milk before bed bloods through night 8.2 and at 7.30 this morning 6.9 so things are looking a bit better and I feel ok so thank you. :D

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
glad your feeling ok :D

grandmacarol

well thanks tosty I went to DOCs today and she said that things were looking better and to keep BI at 18 and tweek the ratios to QA I said i did that thismorning andit only 10.30 and BGs are 12.2 so I might have to put it back up agen Ill keep testing all day to see.Thanks

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
grandmacarol said:
well thanks tosty I went to DOCs today and she said that things were looking better and to keep BI at 18 and tweek the ratios to QA I said i did that thismorning andit only 10.30 and BGs are 12.2 so I might have to put it back up agen Ill keep testing all day to see.Thanks

Nice one Carol and pleased things are improving for you. Once you get the QA ratio's right the background insulin should keep things stable throughout, but remember you can always do a fasting test to see if your basal insulin needs adjusting once your ratio's are correct.

Nigel

grandmacarol

Thanks Nigel I did a fasting test on 25.10.10 and BGs stayed the same from 4.30 untill I went to bed thy were 5.8 5.3 5.9 5.2 5.3 5.2 and yesterdat from 4.30 untill 9.00 thy were 7.8 6,5 6.6 7.8 so think I have the BI right its just the QA that I have to tweek a bit now went from 2-1 this morning to 1.5-1 and BGs have been up agen 9.30 12.2 12.00 10.0 2.00 11.3 and 4.00 9.6 even with corections Iwill put it back to 2-1 in the morning and see how it goes :?