Help advise needed

Dippydolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So my husband is type 2 not the best controlled but he’s starting to try but end of February he got a tough of flu in bed 3 days left him with a cough went to the doctor 25th March as cough still there dr sends him for a X-ray he goes back to dr beginning of April X-ray all clear but he’s still got the cough dr said come back in 4 weeks if it’s still there it’s a niggling tickling cough and throat clearing I am suffering with anxiety and it’s worrying me now any ideas

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So my husband is type 2 not the best controlled but he’s starting to try but end of February he got a tough of flu in bed 3 days left him with a cough went to the doctor 25th March as cough still there dr sends him for a X-ray he goes back to dr beginning of April X-ray all clear but he’s still got the cough dr said come back in 4 weeks if it’s still there it’s a niggling tickling cough and throat clearing I am suffering with anxiety and it’s worrying me now any ideas
Is he taking ramipril for blood pressure or kidney protection by any chance? A very common side effect of ramipril is a dry tickly cough. I was on a small dose for a few years as kidney protection - started with an annoying cough After a cold. GP stopped it about a month ago and my cough has gone

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a bad cold virus in January. It wiped me out. It included a double cough - partly a throat tickle dry cough and party chesty. It was not nice. The cold ran its course, as they do, but the cough lingered. I still have it, although much less than it was and getting better each day. I haven't been to the doctors. I am not concerned about it. I am sure it is still down to the virus.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Coughs can often last 6-8 weeks but by the end of that usually there be an improvement at least. A clear x Ray is definitely a good sign however. After a prolonged bout it can almost become habit to cough and throat clear. If it’s still there by May I’d follow up again but unless it’s getting worse or not improving at all I wouldn’t get anxious yet and believe me I can do health anxiety for family members. There’s lots of things that aren’t insidious that can cause this as well as those that are obviously on your mind

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a cold/cough thing that also dragged on (I could see that I was still infected because my blood sugars were persistently spiked). Perhaps if he takes blood tests at home he can spot that trend?
The fact is that any infection will take longer to clear up if he's type 2 and running high bgs and I hope he'll feel better soon and motivated to continue his efforts so that you can enjoy a healthy future together.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

My non D wife has had a cough for a number of weeks. (4 to 6?) I've just noticed its backing off for her..
Yep we've both had sleepless nights due to it.
Happily married but at one point I was in the front room bedding down with the dog.

If your husband is under the doctor for it..? Let the pros deal with it. I had one after a bout of flu a year ago? It will work its way up..

In the interim.. Reassure yer fella you look forward to seeing him in the morn. & get a good nights sleep elsewhere for yerself..
It realy don't help if you're both "shot away" from it.

Best wishes to you both.