Help again

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too think pain only occurs if positioning is wrong or a lancet is blunt.
Are you using the side of the finger next to the nail, not the pads.. the pads hurt!

Reactions: Sad21+

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you using the side of the finger next to the nail, not the pads.. the pads hurt!
I can never get blood from the side so have to use the pad which doesn’t always work first time either!

Sad21+

I also use the accu check Lancet and needles and find them excellent and kept them after moving on to another meter
Sorry for late reply. Thank you so much for this. I actually ordered it and tested on myself. I'm going to test it on mum hopefully she will be ok. Thank you.

Sad21+

Hello thank you. I do test the sides. But my mum had a stroke so we use her left side. And I think it got too much for her. I'm also trying different spots and making sure her hands are washed and warm. Thank you.

Sad21+

You can use lancing devices and lancets from any providers, but it is the case some meters require a bigger blood sample than others. All lancing devices I've had allow you to adjust the depth of the skin prick to aid sample size.

But probably the most useful thing to alleviate pain and difficulty with finger pricks is making sure fingers are very warm before testing. Never had much issue in Singapore and Thailand re blood pricks, but oh the pain when trying on cold fingers back in temperate UK!
Oh wow thank you for this. Yes alot of people have said keep my mother's hand warm. I really do appreciate this. Thank you.

Sad21+

Thank you so much for your kindness and help. This is so lovely. Thank you.
Hi, completely agree with others - I have chosen to keep my lancing device and lancets from an old meter as I liked the size of the device and found those lancets the least painful to use and it has worked without issue with 3 different meter brands.

I'd also suggest if you're happy with the meter you have, and know how to use it confidently then no reason to change? You can see how you get on with the current meter and if you do have issues change at a later date?

Good tips on making sure fingers are warm before testing, I sometimes shake my hand a bit, sort of flicking in a downwards motion if I've been out in the cold.