Help applying to DLA

uzmasays

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My child was diagnosed January 31st with t1 diabetes, and her nurse had informed me that I could apply for Disability Living Allowance around 6 ish months ago, however have big trouble in doing so, I have contacted the team for support and they have written a letter only stating why my child should be eligible for DLA however I need help with the questionnaire,

Does anyone have any advice or knowledge of how to fill out the weird questions in the lengthy form? My child also has free school meals, and frequent hypos, any help would be greatly appreciated in moving forward,
thank you so much xx

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @uzmasays, welcome to the forum, :)

Claiming DLA isn’t easy and will take some time to fill in the forms, I claimed it for my now adult son who isn’t T1 but has autism and my advice to you is don’t try and do it all in one go, take your time to get it right and don’t actually fill in that bit if the form until you have it drafted how you want it to be.

No one here can actually tell you what to write as it’s individual to your child and their needs. I’ve found a couple of links for you that hopefully might help, contacting your local Citizens Advice Bureau is also a very good idea as they can help with forms

If you have any questions in general about T1 we have lots of great members hear who although we can’t give medical advice they can share their experiences and ideas with you so don’t hesitate to post any questions you have

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/life-with-diabetes/benefits

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/b... nearest Citizens,experts in DLA for children.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Benefit and works is a website that has good information on how to complete benefit forms for all age groups.

Reactions: lovinglife

Cloobie

What I will say is when you answer the questions answer each one as though it’s the worst day of the illness. There are points deducted for things that they are seen as being able to do. But if they can’t do them on their worst day then your answer should reflect that. We have a welfare rights in the council who help me fill in my form. And also citizens advice are good

Reactions: Francel and Marikev

am004h2786

My child was diagnosed January 31st with t1 diabetes, and her nurse had informed me that I could apply for Disability Living Allowance around 6 ish months ago, however have big trouble in doing so, I have contacted the team for support and they have written a letter only stating why my child should be eligible for DLA however I need help with the questionnaire,

Does anyone have any advice or knowledge of how to fill out the weird questions in the lengthy form? My child also has free school meals, and frequent hypos, any help would be greatly appreciated in moving forward,
thank you so much xx
There is no DLA anymore they send you for Attendance Allowance

Marikev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What I will say is when you answer the questions answer each one as though it’s the worst day of the illness. There are points deducted for things that they are seen as being able to do. But if they can’t do them on their worst day then your answer should reflect that. We have a welfare rights in the council who help me fill in my form. And also citizens advice are good
Second this. Filled in the forms years ago for a daughter who had epilepsy and you just had to paint the worst possible scenario. It’s really difficult as those really bad days are the ones we try and forget about, but that’s what you need to put on the form. Sounds like the form hasn’t changed much in the last 20 years, it was full of weird questions then.
I thought my daughter having epilepsy was a bad situation, but having got a T1 diagnosis last year I think it is much harder deal to cope with.
Give yourself plenty of time to fill it all in and Ihope the form lands on the desk of somebody sympathetic.

Judd120

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but can adult Type 1 Diabetics (over 18) claim PIP? When I looked into it 15 years ago when I was diagnosed aged 37 the answer was no. Trying to use a low carb diet (expensive) and having regular debilitating hypos and hypers which effects on my ability to work is really having an impact. Has anything changed?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but can adult Type 1 Diabetics (over 18) claim PIP? When I looked into it 15 years ago when I was diagnosed aged 37 the answer was no. Trying to use a low carb diet (expensive) and having regular debilitating hypos and hypers which effects on my ability to work is really having an impact. Has anything changed?
PIP isn’t awarded on the condition you have but how much that condition affects your life and the extra things you need to help you.

Have a look at this website, it’s extremely helpful on how to fill in a claim form and what points you would get. Keep in mind it is very difficult to get PIP you will have to have evidence and a face to face interview and maybe a medical, but if you feel you are entitled because you need extra help then have a go at applying they can only say no (cost of low carb diet won’t be an eligible reason I’m afraid) good luck :)

Reactions: Judd120