Help ..... Been told it's bad

Jeroniymo

Hi

I have been trying to keep carbs under 50g a day ....... So far I feel fine

But I've just been told I may now be putting my life at risk due to excess ketones ... Is this true?

Do I need to up carbs again

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

But I've just been told I may now be putting my life at risk due to excess ketones ... Is this true?

Are you on any medication, and if so, what medication?
What blood glucose levels are you seeing during the day?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

If you’re eating very low carb, then it’s likely you’ve entered nutritional ketosis - a state where your body is burning fat for fuel, in preference to carbs. This is perfectly safe for someone not on any medication.

Nutritional ketosis is very different from a medical emergency called DKA or Diabetic Ketoacidiosis which occurs when the body runs out of insulin and produces ketones. This will usually occur in tandem with very high blood sugars and is most common in those using insulin.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
The only real way to see if you are at risk from keytones would be to test for them

You can get a pot of ketostix for a few quid the are the pee on ones

Some people will be OK with that level of carbs other might not.... But it's not carbs alone that provide the energy to you body.. So while you are low carb so long as you are having a healthy diet that low you could be OK

It wouldn't be unusual to see low level keytones when dieting

It maybe that you need a few more carbs...

Reactions: xxrubywxx_

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Fasting today was 151. .... No medication ... I just want to help my diabetes .... Not kill myself
With a blood glucose of 151, unmedicated, you shouldn't be at risk of ketoacidocis (DKA), which is likely the thing they're worried about.

Keto or keto diet is called that because it's supposed to lead to ketosis, which is producing ketones.
KetoACIDosis is something else, and in fact quite dangerous.

Jeroniymo

If you’re eating very low carb, then it’s likely you’ve entered nutritional ketosis - a state where your body is burning fat for fuel, in preference to carbs. This is perfectly safe for someone not on any medication.

Nutritional ketosis is very different from a medical emergency called DKA or Diabetic Ketoacidiosis which occurs when the body runs out of insulin and produces ketones. This will usually occur in tandem with very high blood sugars and is most common in those using insulin.

Thank you .... Having altered diet I can't suddenly change back ... My anxiety will go nuts .... And I don't get a diabetic nurse appt for a good week or more

I am gonna try and eat a few more carbs though ... 60 or 70g till I see a nurse

Jeroniymo

The only real way to see if you are at risk from keytones would be to test for them

You can get a pot of ketostix for a few quid the are the pee on ones

Some people will be OK with that level of carbs other might not.... But it's not carbs alone that provide the energy to you body.. So while you are low carb so long as you are having a healthy diet that low you could be OK

It wouldn't be unusual to see low level keytones when dieting

It maybe that you need a few more carbs...

I handed a urine sample to docs today so they may pick it up

I'm gonna to up to about 60 to 80 g a day to be safe

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Hi,

Do you have access to a blood glucose meter?

If so, what are your BGs?