Type 1 Help choosing a pump?!

viki151190

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I am currently going through the process of being started on an insulin pump after nearly 19 years of type 1. My hba1c has always been pretty high so I’m hoping it’s not too late to sort out my future. However, my consultant told me to research what one I would be interested in…..so I was wanting some advice from current users. I currently have a Libre 2 which I use with multiple daily injections. My arms do get sore from constant Libre using (I change arms every 2 weeks). I like the idea of having the new omnipod dash as it’s tubeless…..but…..that also scares me and I’ve seen how bulky they look. Also, the tslimx2 I’ve researched but it looks really fiddly for refilling etc and complicated. I know I’ll get used to it but going from injecting 18 years to now on a pump is exciting but worrying at the same time! Any advice would be appreciated

viki151190

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hoping to get this looking much better when using a pump

Attachments

• 2F55951B-DBD3-4271-9E96-9C6D9B654C27.png
    2F55951B-DBD3-4271-9E96-9C6D9B654C27.png
    157.7 KB · Views: 34

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did you get any guidance from your consultant about what pumps are on offer from your clinic?
There is little point researching all pumps if you do not have access to them.

Maybe your consultant is asking you to do research into features that are available to work out what is important to you.
For example, do you want a tubed or tubeless? Do you want closed loop or not? How much insulin do you use for 3 days (the typical time between set changes) - different pumps have different maximum capacities. ...

As regards to advice - my main one is to not expect pumps to do everything and to be ready for needing to make changes - it is unlikely you will get all the settings correct at the start and they will change. Just having a pump will not reduce your HbA1C - you have to put in the effort.
Learning to use a pump is like starting to learn Type 1 diabetes again but I certainly find it is worth it.

viki151190

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you get any guidance from your consultant about what pumps are on offer from your clinic?
There is little point researching all pumps if you do not have access to them.

Maybe your consultant is asking you to do research into features that are available to work out what is important to you.
For example, do you want a tubed or tubeless? Do you want closed loop or not? How much insulin do you use for 3 days (the typical time between set changes) - different pumps have different maximum capacities. ...

As regards to advice - my main one is to not expect pumps to do everything and to be ready for needing to make changes - it is unlikely you will get all the settings correct at the start and they will change. Just having a pump will not reduce your HbA1C - you have to put in the effort.
Learning to use a pump is like starting to learn Type 1 diabetes again but I certainly find it is worth it.

I am aware it’s not as easy as just getting a pump and I act like I’m not diabetic anymore haha I realise I’ll have to input carbs etc onto the device/app etc. I work full time and have 3 children so anything that would make my life even slightly easier I am willing to try out. Thanks for your reply too

Reactions: In Response