Help! Christmas sweets at work!!!!!

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

This is my first Christmas as a diabetic and I didn't realise how many sweets we get at work :shock: :shock:

So far we have 3 tins of quality street, 1 tin heroes, 1 tin celebrations and 1 tin shortbread between 12 of us :!:

I am finding it sooo hard to cope. I had been doing really well since diagnosis but it's all gone haywire this week.

I know that I shouldn't be eating the sweets or should take in suitable alternatives but the willpower is not there. I don't want to put the weight back on and I definitely don't want my BG levels to rise. I keep reminding myself of this then a few minutes later I help myself to some more sweets. :oops:
I must have had about 20 sweets today and the same yesterday (also had dominos pizza yesterday)

The thing is I am "getting away with it". My BG level yesterday when I came home was 5.7 and 5.4 today. If it had been in the teens then I think it would frighten me into stopping. I am worried that the level might rise rapidly in the next few days-sort of delayed reaction. Or is my body now able to cope with a bit more extra carbs/sugar-maybe I'm just being optimistic :wink:

Are any other newbies having the same problems or does any of the more experienced members have any tips on how to cope (other than staying off work or leaving early :lol: )?

Marina

A brisk 20 minute walk at lunchtime will use the carbs from around 3 quality street - promise yourself them and take them with you on the walk.

Also you could swap them for some of the carbs in your normal lunch. Not something to do all the time but it won't hurt. Get yourself a copy of carbs and cals (Cheyette and Balolia), which gives you the carbs in different foods and try some old fashioned carb swaps

Also if your blood glucose isn't going sky high it could be that your pancreas can manage the small hit of the glucose from several small chocolates spread through the day.

Of course they also have fat and no vitamins and minerals and will probably put fat on you so not something to do all year round, but it's important to be able to join in sometimes - food has a social function as well as nutrients.