Help for an NHS whistleblower

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Aadrgon said:
The official reason was breach of confidentiality although all the patients filmed gave their consent for the images to be shown.

I thought the argument was that patient consent had been received after the filming took place and after editing, so, technically, a breach of confidentiality had taken place.

Regards, Tubs.

Thirsty

I can see the other side of the story. Having spent a fair amount of time in NHS wards over the years, I can assure you all that secret filming is potentially highly embarrassing, not only for the patient but also for their family and friends. Who knows what has been seen by the journalists who produced the Panorama documentary?

Whether or not this lady thought she was acting in the best interests of her patients, I'd be extremely upset to learn that I'd been surreptitiously filmed by someone who's paid to take care of me. That's a gross invasion of privacy and there are other ways to get the message across.

My tuppence.

candy1567

Hi thirsty

I totally agree with you, although i applaud this lady for what she set out to do, but would it not have been more appropriate to expose the management part of the NHS for not taking her complaints seriously and doing somthing about it. Should she have secretly filmed them and their lack of response.

How can we trust any aspect of our care when professionals can secretly film what is going on during our most intimate times of our lives, then ask our consent for it to be shown after they have filmed it, sorry but i find this totally unacceptable.

Yes i agree with the principal of what she did, i actually work with the over 65's and witness first hand the horrendous treatement this age group recieves in hospital and on discharge, but confidentiality policies are in place for a reason and unfortunately although i respect her reasoning for doing what she did, she is now paying the consequences.

Juliexx

Thirsty

Spot on, candy. Think about it, folks, do you really want someone who's going to wipe your bottom, change your colostomy bag, insert a catheter, help you use a commode etc. wired with a hidden camera, and then giving the film to journalists?

*SHUDDER*

She got what she deserved.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I'm sorry Thirsty but I do not agree! She may have gone about it the wrong way,and ,as I do not know the details I can't comment on that but..anything that exposes the shocking treatment of our elderly should be applauded not criticised.I have worked for 18 years with the elderly ,demented and frail and have seen and heard many horror stories from both hospital and other Nursing homes.It's time that the treatment of our elderly was in the spotlight.The cavalier attitude that they are going to die anyway so why bother treating them and leaving them just to die ,sometimes with unnecessary suffering has to be exposed.The NHS is currently going on about treating everyone with dignity,where is the dignity in understaffed wards where ,instead of being given time everything is rushed.The elderly need time and patience and TLC not herded around and dragooned like cattle.
And,before you say it perhaps there was no dignity in being secretly filmed but let's hope something positive comes from this and staffing levels are improved.In other countries the elderly are valued and respected ,in this country they are just thrown on the scrap heap.It's time it changed.

Thirsty

Sue, there's a difference between doing the right thing and doing things the right way. You're correct in saying that care of the elderly can be way below the standards we're entitled to expect, yet we're also entitled to privacy and confidentiality when it comes to health care, particularly when we become so frail that we're no longer able to care for ourselves properly.

I'm quite sure that the nurse in question's contract of employment contains a clause relating to confidentiality, which she has clearly decided to disregard. I'm sorry, but that's just wrong, however well-intentioned her actions may have been.

I'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

C

catherinecherub

As a nurse I will put my twopenny bit in.
We all know that elderly care is a challenge and involves dedication of the highest degree. Anyone who doesn't believe that should try it. The problem is that to change things then staff have to unite and change things. Management make it very difficult if you complain and many nurses will not stand up to intimidation. Severe understaffing means being unable to do the job to the best of your ability. It would have to be a combined effort to say enough is enough and things have to change or we will down tools. I know in the past that I have worked to rule because management would not listen. They had to take over from staff who would not do overtime or change their days off and they also had to use agency staff. It didn't last long because patients were suffering. Unions have their part to play as well. The trouble is that some hospital staff will join a union so that if they need it they can avail themselves but they will not participate in anything that rocks the boat. Until management change the way that they manage and also understand that you cannot put a time limit on the amount of care each patient needs then things will not improve.
The nurse in question did not abide by confidentiality rules and so she was guilty as charged. I feel for her as she may have tried other avenues and been so frustrated that she thought that this was the only way forward.

deadwood2

She did what she thought she had to do.

So did Gordon Brown, Alistair Darling and Jacqui Smith.

They may well all be wrong, but hey a mistake's a mistake.