1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Help! I miss toast.

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Lilysun, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Ryhia

Ryhia Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I use the Keto King recipe as well works for me, had toast this morning for breakfast. I use a bread machine to make this and usually set it on the dough making cycle so that I can half the mix. I use one half to make a small loaf and do something different with the other half. Perhaps pizza, flammkuchen, herb or cheese bread. My non diabetic hubbie loves the flammkuchen. I also attempted to make hot cross buns the other week by adding a little extra sweetener, spices and blueberries to the mix.

2. ChristieM

ChristieM Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I found it extremely difficult to give up my breakfast toast and then I read that multi grain, seeded bread or rye bread has less effect on your blood sugar. I have found this to be true for me. I have two VERY thin slices, toasted from frozen. I slice it extremely thinly - about 0.5cm - on a bread slicer before freezing. I do test from time to time after eating this and find it only has a small, acceptable, effect on my blood sugar. But you need to try it and test yourself. Toast doesn’t really affect me but mashed potato - wow!

3. LindaManville

LindaManville Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Have you tried hovis wholemeal at 8 gms of carbs per slice?
    When I get desperate I'll have a slice and it only upped my sugars
    By 2.

4. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

If I’m not working I’ll often have eggs on toast or just toast for breakfast with little effect on my BS. I seem to be ok with mashed potatoes provided I only have a small amount however Scampi is still my nemesis!!

5. Gracie204

Gracie204 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Ryhia: As mentioned in my post my breadmaker is very new and I've only made two loaves in it so far, so I'm interested in the way that you place the Keto King ingredients into the breadmaker on a dough setting, then take it out and use half for a small loaf and the other half for other baked goods. Presumably you have to prove these and then bake them in the oven. How long do you leave them to prove, and how long to bake in the oven? And at what setting? And what is flammkuchen? I'm intrigued, it sounds Austrian.

Apologies for so many questions, but I do want to put my new breadmaker to good use.

(P.S. Love the image of the bluebell fairy!)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook