Help! Meter needed

tutti

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I was diagnosed in November 2014 and put me on Metformin. My HbA1c was 5.3 at the time. last month it has gone down to 4.3 and Dr said everything was v good. 3 days After having that test I think I went to have v low blood sugar. I was weak,hungry and sweaty. I thought that was what we called hypo. I have no meter to measure. How do I get a meter to measure blood sugar when something happens again. It seems that almost everyone has got a meter

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I was diagnosed in November 2014 and put me on Metformin. My HbA1c was 5.3 at the time. last month it has gone down to 4.3 and Dr said everything was v good. 3 days After having that test I think I went to have v low blood sugar. I was weak,hungry and sweaty. I thought that was what we called hypo. I have no meter to measure. How do I get a meter to measure blood sugar when something happens again. It seems that almost everyone has got a meter

Hi Tutti,

Quite a few people use the SD Code Free machine because the testing strips are cheaper. You can google it and compare prices but here is one link you can try:
http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely get yourself a meter so you know if you are going hypo. It's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
With the SD Codefree meter at HomeHealth, there is a discount code if you buy 5 or 10 boxes, which brings the price down to about £5 for 50 strips.
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you for information. I thought we can get it free from GP Surgery
In the UK most type 2 diabetics who are not on insulin don't get provided with meters, so we have to fund our own. But you can ask your surgery if they'll provide you with one, and a prescription for test strips, but don't be surprised of they refuse you. It's usually a matter of cost.

Some diabetics can apply for a free meter from the manufacturers, but they'd still have to pay for the test strips, which are the expensive part of testing, and this is is why the Codsefree brand is generally recommended.

Robbity

granny8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My husband was recently diagnosed with type 2, insulin dependent, he has multiple other medical problems and we are both coping well. The DN are a great support and readings are quite stable however he does need to eat every couple of hours during the day or will have a hypo. He also got a hypo the first time he went out for a walk, the DN suggested I carry his meter in the car. The hospital supplied an Accu check Aviva and this website supplied me with a free One Touch Verio I thought I would keep the One Touch in the car and decided to check and do each test on both meters. I was very surprised to discover the reading each time were quite different on each meter. Accu Check maybe 4.6 and One Touch 5.8. This scared me as the first time I tried both the Accu Check said he was having a hypo and the One Touch indicated he wasn't. He often can't tell a hypo because of his other medical problems. Has anyone else come across this problem as I would really like to be able to use both?